News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

lymphnodes

Started by jenks006, June 06, 2009, 08:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenks006

Hi - I am Kathy - new to this board but not new to SJS.  I was diagnozed with SLE in 1995, SJS in 1999, I also have Hashimotos.
On April 2nd, I noticed a lump under my arm.  Went to gyno.  Sent me for another mammogram and an ultra sound (I have 2 sisters with breast cancer).....
The result was that a HUGE lymphnode had attached itself to a muscle under my arm.  (I had worked out the day before I noticed the lump. My muscle was sore and thats what led me to feel around and discover the lump.
Since it wasn't attached to the breast the gyno and breast center resleased me but told me to get it checked out further.  Sent copies of my report to my rheumy and my reg doc.
I was told to go see a surgeon on the 10th of June so he can evaluate it and decide if he thinks I need a biopsy.  I know that lymphoma is assicated with Sjogrens.  My brother had hodgekins along time ago.  He has since died they say from lung cancer which he got from the radiation they did when he was 19.  He would be 59 this year.
Anyhow, does anyone know if Hodgekins is hereditory?

The muscle under my arm has gone down....it does not hurt but the lump is still there. 
What are the chances of it being lymphoma?  I am really scared.  We have SO much cancer in my family.
What if the surgeon says he doesn't think it needs to be biopsied? 
I am so scared and I have this gut feeling .....call it intuition.....that is is something that is not good.  I am trying to stay positive. 
I guess I just need some reassuring words.  I love this board.  I just found it today and have been on it for almost 2 1/2 hours.  I am a Mom to 4 boys.....ages   16, 13, 12 and 7.  I am married to a wonderful man and I am scared of losing it all.

Thanks for listening.  I have found so much helpful information on this site and will be on it alot from now on.


Kathy :)

HL in NY

Hi Kathy,

Big hugs!!! It's a very scary time when you find something like this. Your mind gets wrapped up in all these "What if"s and goes into a meltdown.

I don't know much about Hodkin's Lymphoma, but I'm a survivor of Non-Hodkin's, which is more common for us Sjoggy's. The good new is that the likelyhood of this being cancer is pretty low, even with your history. Of course, it should be checked, and soon, but again the odds are with you.

The other excellent news is that lymphoma is very, very treatable, and these days the survival rates are very high. It's a road that no one wants to go down, but it's just a road, not a dead end.

I have two boys as well, 15 & 13 and I understand a little of where you are. Hopefully this will give you a little hope that things will work out okay.

More hugs!

Heather

jenks006

Thanks Heather.  I am trying to learn all I can "just in case".

Katybarstool

Hi Kathy

I don't have any wise words about lymphoma, but just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the family. Fingers crossed that this isn't too serious, and that you get it properly diagnosed soon.

Hugs
Kathy (UK)

Linda196

Hello and welcome, Kathy.

As you've seen, non-Hodgkins lymphoma is more of a threat with autoimmune disease than Hodgkins, and even so, it's quite a rare occurrence. Neither type is known to be hereditary, although the actual cause isn't known...most researchers cite things like chemical exposure, exposure to radiation, and immune system involvement triggered by various viruses.

Learning all you can is a great approach, just try not to let what you learn, scare you, because you don't know yet what caused the lymph node to enlarge and it may turn out to be very innocent. Given your personal history, I would hope that the surgeon would be pro-active and biopsy the lump. If he doesn't suggest it, by all means ask him why, and ask if you have the option of insisting on a biopsy. If he isn't willing, ask about a second opinion.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https:https://sjogrensworld.org/index.php?board=30.0

eyeamdry

Kathy, I'm coming in here not to scare you, but give you my information.  Do not think (as your doctor may think) that lump not attached cannot be breast cancer.  That is wrong.  It is imperative for you to have this lump biopsied if it hasn't gone down by the time you see the surgeon.  I do not know anything about lymphoma, but I know about Sjogrens and breast cancer.  Not together necessarily, but in my case yes.

I was dx with Sjogrens about two and one-half years ago.  I was just beginning to feel some better on the meds and I had the notion that I wanted a lump I'd had on my breast taken OUT.  The drs, radiologists and I had been "watching" it for 2 or 3 years.  It stayed the same size and the dr found it during my annual exam.  All of a sudden I had this thought that I was getting better for treatment from Sjs and wouldn't it be a bear if that lump was cancer!  Well, I went for mammogram at the regular time and I'd already had an appt with the surgeon for a week later.  The radiologist told me I'd better see a surgeon.  He could tell from the mammogram that it was malignant.

I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation and am doing ok.  I had clear margins and no lymph node involvement.  So time is important.  Also the fact that my lump was movable caught the drs by surprise that it was cancer.  Best to be thorough.  Good lucl and let us know.  Lucy