News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Behind the knee....

Started by JJ, June 02, 2009, 05:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

Hello all,

   I have been experiencing swelling and tenderness behind my left knee, this is the second

time in the past few months. It is painful to try to straighten the knee and seems to be a

little discolored...but not hot at this time or red. Has anyone else had this happen...the front

of the knee for a change is okay...no bone pain or joint pain at this time just behind. Would

like to know if this is just a JJ thing...which could be....lol.

JJ

Poochie

JJ, now would be a good time to have it checked out by your doctor.  ;D

Pooh

JJ

Pooh,

   I'd really love to but not having insurance and just starting a job it wont be happening soon.

If I go to the emergency room it really better be a life or death situation...I guess that is why

I try to read up on what is going on in here...so i will know if something I'm experiencing is one

of those emergency type deals....I am at wits end...I just don't know how much more of this I can take.

No meds, no doctors just me trying to wing it is getting harder and harder...tried to get on medicaid

but because i live with boyfriend and he makes good money (if he wasn't supporting his ex and three kids)

I do not qualify. I keep trying to find some help but the world is cold. Sorry for being a crybaby but it is

so frustrating...the only happiness I have is that my daughter has insurance and she is getting the help

she needs now.

JJ

Shell

Hi JJ,

I had a similar episode a couple of years ago--pain behind my knee and some swelling, though mild.  I was sent for evaluation to rule out DVT as well as something called a Baker's cyst.  It didn't turn out to be either of those things, fortunately.   I don't have medical training, just thought the symptoms sounded pretty similar.  If I remember correctly, I think Baker's cyst is fairly common in individuals who complain of pain behind the knee.  And of course, DVT you don't want to mess around with.  I second Pooh's suggestion to have it checked out.

Hope you feel better soon,
Shell


jonnell

I had the same symptoms a few years ago I went to orthapedic doctor, turned out I had fluid on the knee, they drained the fluid out and it felt much better, still have trouble when the weather is damp but not like it was.

JJ

Thanks for all the  information. The swelling has gone down and I can straighten my leg better

now. I am in hopes that by mid July I will be able to get personal health insurance...just trying to

get the money up that I will need. This site helps me keep a record of things that are going on

so when i am able to get to a doctor I can better describe and let him/her know what is happening

with me. I do not know what I would do without my SJS Family. God Bless the founders of this wonderful

site!!

JJ

eyeamdry

I was thinking of a Baker's cyst and I think these are usually not serious, BUT I AM NO DR OR NURSE. I also think they are common when you (may) have osteoarthritis in your knees.  Lucy

jenkay

I have had this frequently for the past 4 years.  I was originally checked for Baker's Cyst but that was negative.  It is worse when I'm on my feet a lot and putting them up does help.  Sorry I haven't found much else that helps this problem.

JJ

I think the being on the feet is probably the cause....haven't worked in over a year and

just started a job...having to walk 30 min to get there and be on my feet for 8 hours

may just have something to do with it...lol...sometimes I think I'm normal...can do the

things I use to. It will just take time for my body to get use to it I suppose. I have been

doing the homemaker thing for the past year so I got use to going at my own pace...

the job doesn't have the pace my body likes...lol. Thanks to all I will mention my reaction

and the fact that I started the job....

JJ