News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Knots in muscles ... still a problem (I know this is a strange post-I'm sorry)

Started by RitaB, May 17, 2009, 08:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RitaB

I posted before about some knots in my calves, behind my knees and on my forearms and that my dr said he thought they were lymph nodes (last Nov).  Only to have rhuemy (barely) felt them and thought they were possibly vascular but not lymph nodes (last Dec).  I then saw a physicians asst in Feb (b/c my regular dr was on his semi-annual trip overseas) and said that they were not lymph nodes but probably related to my fibromyalgia.  Well, I just now got back in to my regular dr (last month he had a very bad break in his foot water skiing - he's 60+ and competes and has been the world champion for 2 years now.  But with the break he was out for several weeks).  He still doesn't know what it is but is going to biopsy one of them on June 3.  But he really doesn't think it is anything but wants to make sure.

So this is what I have - multiple knots (most are elongated but some are round) in my muscles - calves, thighs, forearms, now in my upper arms, and abs.  Most when they first appear burns in the muscle and will continue for days (sometimes a week or two or even longer).  Rubbing or trying manipulate them causes them to be sore for awhile with a kind of "make you sick to your stomach" type of ache so I refrain from doing that.  Even when I get that familiar burning starting I won't feel for a knot that I know is there b/c I don't want that extra burning that I get.  But I know that feeling and that another knot has appeared.

I don't think this is related to my swollen parotids but I never got an answer for the reason for the swelling but in Dec the rhuemy did tell me that she had never seen the glands be this involved without something showing in my blood so she wanted the biopsy just to rule out something like lymphoma.  But it didn't register with me that the biopsy I had was actually a lip biopsy and not a biopsy of the parotid (decision of the ENT) and would a lip biopsy rulle lymphoma if I had lymphoma of the parotid gland.  So I did expressed this concern to my regular pc who is taking that concern seriously.

But in the mean time, I have research the internet and can't find any real desciption of anything that fits these knots.  Sometimes nodular myositis does but not completely.  So I am wondering if any of you have had anything like this.

If you made it this far in my post, thanks for reading.  And I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Rita

harrigan

I made it to the end Rita and I wish I could help - hopefully someone with more medical knowledge / experience than me will be along to advise.  Just wanted to say hope you get this sorted, it sounds so painful.  Hang in there while all the drs are puzzling over you and lets hope you get some answers and treatment that works asap xx Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

Chickpea

Hi Rita

Sorry to say I don't have an explanation but I do have a knot!  For years I've had a large one in my left arm, about half way between shoulder and elbow.  Initially I thought it might be related to the flu shot but I don't think it is.  Different doctors have looked at it and had no idea what it is.  It's a bit like a damaged muscle that's mended badly, if that makes sense. 

I'll ask my rheumy about it when I see him next month.  Let us know what your research shows up.

Hope you're feeling less sore soon.

Take care - Chickpea

Redetha1

I have the lumps also.  There is on just below my elbow now.  I am calling my doctor today.  Mine was sore at the end of last week and continues to be so.  I am hoping to see someone this week while it is.  Will keep looking at the posts for more info and will post if I find out anything.  Good luck to us all.  Hugs, Redetha

kindandcaring

Ive always thought the lumps in my calf muscles were just muscles..and they sure feel hurtful..if you squeeze them hard enough.

I do hope you find there is nothing majorly wrong..a biopsy is a surefire way to know.
Its good that your Doc is being prudent..I could name perhaps eight Doc's that I know that are the opposite.. leaving one without any answers.

All the best till then, I sympathise as the wait for the biop can be hard.


lesmom

My friend that has fibromyalgia alone says that because of it she has formed different lumps and bumps on her muscles in different places and I on her feet. She has lent me a book on Fibro- I'll look in there tonight when I get home from work to see if I can find anything on it. I have fibro as well, but I haven't noticed any bumps as of yet.

Hugs to you Rita

Leslie

marilyn143

I have fibro and also have knots.my son is 15 and gets the same thing.very tender but no stinging or deep aching.I think it is related to the fibro though.please let us know what you find out.