News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Radiation for breast ca, then Sjogren's symptoms

Started by sunflower, January 11, 2019, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunflower

Hello all,

It has occurred to me that my peripheral neuropathy and other Sjogren's-related symptoms really took off in a variety of directions about 4 months after I completed radiation for breast cancer.  (Radiation was in 2014; I already had sicca symptoms.)  My nagging problem after the radiation was that I was so tender I couldn't wear a bra for a year.  I still can hardly touch the scar site to do exams.  Mammos are excruciating.  Doctors and technicians have never heard of pain after radiation.

Is there a connection between radiation and resulting Sjogren's symptoms and what would it be?  Has anyone else heard of this?

Sunflower
Sjogren's - eyes dx Feb/06, variety of new symptoms 2015, seroneg, lip bx 6/16 neg; early AMD; chronic lymphocytic leukemia dx 2006; kidney disease stage 3; breast ca - surgeries, radiation 2014; Meniere's Disease
Rx:  coversyl+, Eliquis; supps: Vitalux, Omega 3, calciuim

Sharon

Hi sunflower, from what I have read:
1- Sicca symptoms can occur following radiation, but are supposedly limited to the area that received the radiation (such as dryness of the mouth following salivary gland radiation).
2- Any trauma can trigger autoimmune diseases. Having breast cancer and having to undergo treatment for it may be experienced as both emotional and physical trauma.


Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....