News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia

Started by Kadiddle, November 29, 2016, 07:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadiddle

I'm trying hard to be patient to find answers when I see the Rheumatologist on Dec. 8th. But...something else came up and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I only found one other post in here on this subject. I'm not an MD, but I am a nurse, and I can research just like any intelligent person can no matter their background.
Several days ago, I started experiencing this incredibly sharp pain in the back of my throat. I first thought maybe I was coming down with something, but it was odd, because it was just the right side of my throat. Then, I started having shooting pains going up to my ear. It really hurts, but it only lasts a few seconds. Sometimes it was related to swallowing. Other times, it was just random. This has lasted for several days, but today hasn't been nearly as uncomfortable. I'm hoping it is dissipating. I'm assuming it's this Glossopharyngeal neuralgia.
Anyone else experienced this?
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

Carolina

Here's a link.

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-glossopharyngeal.htm

What are the causes?
"Many believe that the protective sheath of the nerve deteriorates, sending abnormal messages. Like static in a telephone line, these abnormalities disrupt the normal signal of the nerve and cause pain. Most often the damage is from a blood vessel compressing the nerve. Other causes include aging, multiple sclerosis, and nearby tumors."

This is another neurological problem of a defective Immune System.

Ain't we got fun? (sarcasm)

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

jazzlover

Doesn't sound like fun. Let us know what you find out.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Kadiddle

Lol! Thanks for the sarcasm, Elaine. It really is needed in times like this. If I don't laugh, I'll cry. And I've done plenty of that lately. I will keep you posted, jazzlover.  :D
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

Nymph

I have experienced similar pain but not quickly dissipating like this. Mine was more like burning mouth syndrome, resulting in something like geographic tongue. Interestingly, it started when I discontinued a supplement call Neurolink, which includes tyrosine, 5HTP and GABA. Resuming treatment has lessened the symptoms to just an occasional shedding of tastebuds with some sensitivity. It's a total mystery to me and every doc has their own opinion, with no evidence to back it up, I might add. It certainly seems to be neurological based on the response to Neurolink.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

MAT51

I've had this too in the past - excruciating. Nowadays it is further down in my oesophogus sometimes and random although I wonder if certain positions make it worse.
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

bluegardenia

well i just posted about my throat sensitivity. it does not hurt but its extremely sensitive. my mouth is not so dry, i mean its dry but not terrible but my thoat is extremely dry and sensitive. some years ago i had terrible flu with sore throat. i never experienced such a pain  there. i went to many doctors , they could not understand what it was, there was a flu with sore thoat around here and many friends caught it but nobody had the same pain that i had. it lasted more or less one month. i did not have sjo at that time, i mean i did not know i had it, bec my eyes were already dry and  i had noticed that food stayed attached to my teeth but did not give any attention to it. it wa the start probably. lucky times, just seven years ago. sjs officilally arrived 4 years ago. im so afraid to catch a cold that i do not go out if cold or im dressed like going to the north pole. friends laugh at me, i wash my hands, i clean my phone, computer etc. what a nightmare.
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds