News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Anyone with a positive HLA-B27 but none of the associated diseases?

Started by paulc182, December 04, 2016, 03:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulc182

24 year old male. I recently suspected Primary Sjogrens and my scopes/biopsies came back positive for a condition called Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis...which is pretty much the unknown brother to eosinophilic esophagitis. My other tests including anti-CCP, ANA, and SSA/SSB are all negative BUT, my RF and HLA-B27 are positive.

TLDR: How many of ya'll have this positive marker but none of the associated diseases like Ankylosing Spondylitis, IBD, Psoriasis, Reactive Arthritis? Is this a common marker in those with Rheumatic diseases in general(SLE, SS, RA), or any autoimmune disease in general?

I was a healthy guy prior to the onset of all these sudden symptoms which include: dry mouth/eyes, joint pain that jumps around on my fingers, elbows, back, hips, knee, ankle lasting no longer than a few seconds, dizziness(passed), blurry vision(passed), mild neuropathy, IBS issues, random bouts of asthma, random bouts of slight stiffness in fingers/left leg. I've always had this tiny lil ache in my low back from weight lifting in the past and when I started getting stool/gut issues, I had a case of pain in that same spot(mostly due to squatting improperly on the toilet to get everything out, or long time improper posture using my computer..) and pain in left hip doing leg day at the gym for the first time in months. I somewhat suspect AnkoSpondy of some sort but aside from those occasions, there hasn't really been any major stiffness or really noticeable pain in those areas.

My rheumy tested me for the marker cause its just proper procedure, but it just left me mentally crippled and paranoid for my future and current state haha. So how many of ya'll with Sjogren's DON'T have the P.A.I.R. diseases but DO have an HLA-B27 marker?

wendyoh

I don't recall hearing much about this marker off the top of my head. A quick google tho and it sounds like its a double edge sword, or so says this 2002 paper.  and Wikipedia say folks with HIV who have the marker may be slightly less likely to exhibit HIV symptoms....so sounds like there are pros and cons to having it.........would  be curious if your doctor shares more with you
http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/41/8/857.full
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

Tharrell

My rheumatologist said that the HLA B27 is a quiet common marker in healthy people. My son tested positive for this as well. I was thinking ankylosing spondylitis since he is having some serious problems in his back including scheuermann's disease, but rheumatologist said no since all his blood work come back negative including inflammatory markers. He has so much bilateral joint pain and rheumy said just to manage with NSAID's. It just can't be normal for my 24 year old son to have this severe joint pain!! My daughter also tested positive for this marker and rheumy said it just indicates the uveitis she has with her Behcet's disease.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan's syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

SjoGirl

Yes I tested positive for HB, but my rheumatologist says all of my spine problems are due to osteoarthritis.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

I was sure that there are more autoimmune diseases with this positive marker. I did a quick search and found that beside the Ankylosing Spondylitis, it can be found in Inflammatory bowel disease, Juvenile arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Reiters syndrome, Sacroilyities and Uveitis.

After seeing this short article I am of the opinion that it probably shows up more often in autoimmune diseases than one images. My hubby had celiac disease and I swear that was one of the positive markers found in that disease.

If a 24 y old is having that much back pain it might be good to get a second opinion. Sorry I didn't remember to check on your name. There are no cut and dried rules in autoimmune diseases and doctors need to get over being so OCD about that. Irish

paulc182

Quote from: irish on December 04, 2016, 09:40:32 PM
I was sure that there are more autoimmune diseases with this positive marker. I did a quick search and found that beside the Ankylosing Spondylitis, it can be found in Inflammatory bowel disease, Juvenile arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Reiters syndrome, Sacroilyities and Uveitis.

After seeing this short article I am of the opinion that it probably shows up more often in autoimmune diseases than one images. My hubby had celiac disease and I swear that was one of the positive markers found in that disease.

If a 24 y old is having that much back pain it might be good to get a second opinion. Sorry I didn't remember to check on your name. There are no cut and dried rules in autoimmune diseases and doctors need to get over being so OCD about that. Irish

Yep, those are the ones with the strongest correlation.
Did your husband test positive for the HLAB27 then?
Yeah it can be annoying...my rheumy doesn't believe my symptoms are due to SS even though I exhibit the signature ones like joint aches, dry eyes/mouth, AND I'm positive for RF! Treat patients individually instead of going by the textbook all the time.



Paul

irish

My hubby wasn't tested for that marker as he was diagnosed in 1978 and they did not have all the fancy tests back then. He was diagnosed by absence of folic acid and very low cholesterol plus biopsy of small intestine. Also, he looked like a concentration camp survivor, severe stomach symptoms with failure to thrive, 30 pound weight loss.
When there is an autoimmune problem in the family and one of the kids isn't doing well chances are they have one too. My hubby had celiac and AI colitis bum with Celiac. I have 5 autoimmune diseases and 2 immune deficiencies and we have one kid with Celiac and his 9 year old son diagnosed with Celiac at age 4 without blood work. Pediatrician said skip and blood work, dad and grandpa have it so put him on the gluten free diet. He is better.

Also have one son with Hashimotos (thyroid AI) encephalopathy and another son with thyroid disease and lots of symptoms of Sjogrens plus doc is watching him because his liver function tests are crazy. A parents work is never done. We feel guilty but there is nothing we can do but to see that they get to the doctor and educate them on symptoms and how to adjust and take care of themselves. Good luck. Irish