News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

I feel so... darned irritated

Started by Maria3667, November 14, 2016, 11:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maria3667

Hi everyone,

I hate to admit this, but I often feel so irritated around people. Could this be part of the disease profile as a result of constant inflammation? My aggitation is not directed at anyone in particular, no one rubbed me the wrong way. To escape these nasty feelings I would just like to curl up in a blanky, shut all doors, windows and drapes and hide from the world...

This 'beast' is difficult to live with. I feel so sorry for my partner who has to bear the brunt of it...

Does anyone recognize this? Is this a bonus feature of Sjogrens???
54. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02) - changed to Sicca ('20), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis & MGD ('18), Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 12.5mg quetiapine. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Pete0211

#1
I think it's quite possible with chronic pain / fatigue. I was the same way for almost a decade due to undiagnosed parathyroid disease, which is also associated with chronic pains / fatigue and is notorious for causing chronic grumpiness. I thought (starting in my early 30s) that I felt "old", thought my body was repaying me for all the abuse from the military, and just didn't like people. Friendships fell apart, I couldn't keep relationships, had problems with coworkers, and pretty much became a hermit.

Luckily that disease was curable with a 20 minute surgery, and the change was almost instant. Of course, 9 months later I start getting symptoms of Sjogren's ... ;)

Realizing that you are being a grump due to your illness is the path to dealing with it better. If someone had told me 5 years ago that I was being such a grump, I would have gotten even more gumpy and blamed them, rather than realize it was me (or my disease that I didn't know I had). Hang in there, be aware of it, and though sometimes you're just going to not want to be bothered, you have a good starting baseline to work with to ensure you don't ruin relationships like I did.
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

Kathy57

Maria3667,

I know I feel that way too.  I think it is because I don't feel well and I lack patience.  A lot has hit me recently and my antidepressant/antianxiety med is not enough.

Depression has set in for sure and I'm in a funk.  I find myself not wanting to be around others because of the way I feel.  Also, I am having a terrible time with grief at the moment.

So I took my doctor's advice and I am scheduled for my first professional counciling session this Thursday.  Don't know if it will help but I'm about to find out.  My husband and children deserve a better wife and mother right now.

Hope this eases a bit for you, too.

Kathy

66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

cccourt1942

My hand goes up!

I am SjS AND old.  Not sure from which  the grumpiness comes.  I am most pleasant around my grandchildren...and can't understand that.  None treat me as if anything is different...illness or age...so maybe their attitudes about me personally.

The years I was so sick before dx (eyes for over 20 years...but am referring to 5 year period w' chronic sialadenitis, burning tongue, chronic costochondritis (not dxed) and severe fatigue ...while retired yet still working contract 3 to 4 day weeks.  I withdrew.  I couldn't eat (burning tongue and sialadenitis). I had two friends who knew these things occurred. They understood the restaurants who served food I could tolerate.  So by time of dx, I was pretty solitary.  Then I moved...and the being social was solved as I didn't know anyone but family.  Which is just fine.  I seldom have energy to do anymore.  Always doing something with/for one or the other granddaughters.  I was widowed.

I can understand the empathy you feel for your partner.  Many of you have kind and loving spouses or partners.  On good days do something special...and feel good you did something!  Cut yourself some slack.  Your body is not your own.  Your immune system had turned itself on you.  No simple explanation for those w'out it or something else. 

Good luck, and hang around here to find understanding.
Sjoldier c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Jenny

I noticed your age. Could you be periminaposal?  I was irritated for several years around your age. My doctor put me on a low dose antidepressant and within a few weeks I felt normal again. Worth a try.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Maria3667

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support, it makes me feel less isolated.

@Pete: Indeed, being honest to myself & others about my mental state of being is probably the best baseline to work with.
@Kathy: a lot has hit me too. I'm about to relocate within my community, but doing up my new house is a cause for plenty of physical, emotional & financial stress. Counseling might be a good idea!
@C3: I should cut myself some slack! Great idea to do something special on a good day for my partner :)
@Jenny: I might be peri-menopausal, eventhough I still have periods. Am already on an anti-depressant, it helps to some degree but doesn't totally obliterate my internal 'witch' (give her a broom stick! ... sigh).
54. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02) - changed to Sicca ('20), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis & MGD ('18), Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 12.5mg quetiapine. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

warmwaters

Could be a variety of things. I feel like a growly old bear when I'm in a lot of pain.  It seems like it's so much work just to have a conversation. However, it could be a bit of depression as well - some of my markers for whether I'm having a period of depression is if I'm irritable, or impatient.

And depression can definitely come with Sjorgen's.

And of course, stress can make people short tempered too, as can meds.  I'm fairly irritable on prednisone.

At least a few things to explore.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers