News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Numbness in hands at night

Started by morganjen, November 03, 2016, 05:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morganjen

I've been having a lot of numbness in both hands at night. I also had an episode of Raynaud's on my right hand a week ago. What can cause this? Anyone else have this?

Tharrell

Sounds like a circulation problem. I too have raynauds which in my case is one of the presenting problem of mixed connective tissue disease.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan's syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

Joe S.

If yo u pull your shoulders forward, you may cutoff circulation or nerve conduction to your hands. This can happen if you are sleeping wrong, or spending too much time gaming or typing. After years of programing computers, I have problems with this and have to stretch out my shoulders all the time.

I wear copper compression gloves to help cut the pain from Raynaud's in my hands. My hands are more sensitive at night or when I use them a lot. A slightly cooler breeze will trigger it. It is worse on my feet so I wear slippers more often than not.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

SjoGirl

Do you have issues with discs in your neck. Those of us with such issues deal with numbness in hands and arms depending upon which discs are affected.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Jasper

You may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is caused by compression of a nerve in your wrist.

At night time, your hands may be in odd positions and the wrist nerves may get compressed, causing the numbness. 

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm

Of course, the symptoms may be from other causes.

You should see a physician and he/she should do testing to rule out any and all causes of the numbness. Once the actual problem is diagnosed, you can get treatment for it.

I do have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and the symptoms appear when I have my wrists bent (driving a car, sleeping at night with my wrists bent). Mine was diagnosed with nerve conduction studies. Mine only occurs when I have my wrists bent. I did wear wrist splints for a few months. My symptoms improved a lot when I was on Prednisone for flares and now the symptoms are virtually gone since I have been on Rituximab infusions. I think the inflammation and swelling play a big part in my Carpal Tunnel symptoms.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

bartolo

Numbness that occurs only/mainly at night is more likely neurological or circulatory rather then caused by mineral/vitamin deficiencies (potassium, calcium, vitamins B), which would be apparent throughout the day.

Here's one awfully long list of causes (with related symptoms) of numbness in "fingertips" but it pretty much covers everything and includes Raynaud's phenomenon.

http://www.hxbenefit.com/causes-of-numbness-and-tingling-paresthesia-in-fingertips.html

One of most common causes of hand numbness at night is carpal tunnel syndrome. This can be caused by wrist overuse or an inflammation of the tissues in the wrist from various causes: connective tissue diseases, arthritis, hypothyroidism...

morganjen

I did have an episode of Raynaud's last week on my right hand. I had never seen the fingers blue before.

irish

If this continues I would check with a doctor as it may be carpal tunnel. I had carpal tunnel that got so bad at night I was in agony with numbness and also the worst pain between my fingers that I had ever had in my life. The pain also radiated up my arm and I thought it was from the discs in my neck. Had the surgery for carpal tunnel and that was the end of that ailment. Good luck. Irish