News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Autonomic Neuropathy and Sjogrens

Started by Judie P, September 23, 2016, 05:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judie P

Haven't been on the forum for a while, but just wondering if you can have autonomic neuropathy, primary sjogrens, and NOT have diabetes?  Most of the online info talks about being diabetic and having AN, some talk about AN and primary sjogrens, but none of them state that you can be primary SJS, have AN and not be diabetic.  Anyone have an answer on this?

Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

deniselb

Sure you can. I do. Sjogren's, peripheral neuropathy for about 12 years, no sign of diabetes.

Linda196

While Diabetes is the most common cause of AN. it can result from a lot of other things, like Autoimmune diseases on their own. I actually had some signs of AN before Sjogren's ever appeared, possibly a result of sarcoidosis, or athyroidism following a thyroidectomy for Hasimotos, but no diabetes. My symptoms (extremely labile BP, racing heart rate, premature beats and ventricular abnormalities, and absence of perspiration) have mostly improved or disappeared with steroid treatment.

While it isn't the same as peripheral neuropathy (PN), affecting a totally different set of nerves, many of the causes are the same.

Both AN and PN are usually further labelled and diabeticAN/PN, at least by doctors I worked with, sort of as a shortcut, so you know of the diabetic diagnosis upfront.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https:https://sjogrensworld.org/index.php?board=30.0

MAT51

I have SFN and signs of Dysautonomia and am a prime candidate for diabetes because I'm overweight and have a family history of late onset type 1.5 (autoimmune but rare) diabetes. So far I only have diagnosed hypothyroidism, primary Sjogren's, RA and hypertension. My neuropathy is very widespread - presently affecting my hands and mouth most, but my endocrinologist says that as far as he can tell from history, symptoms and lip biopsy plus bloods -Sjogren's is the main cause of my symptoms of PN/SFN, disequilbrium, constipation, small vessel disease and hoarseness/ dry cough. I do also have hypertension and subclinical atherosclerosis - all common in diabetes but apparently also a part of SS. I did have a high blood sugar reading recently so need further testing again but the GP says that diabetic PN similar to mine would only be found in very advanced diabetes - which I clearly don't have.
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

gurs

I have severe CNS issues from Sjogrens....no diabetes.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

warmwaters

I have Sjogren's, peripheral and autonomic neuropathy. No diabetes. 
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

SjoGirl

As others have said, yes. I too have neuropathy, but not diabetes.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Carolina

Hi Judie P,

I have several conditions caused by my Immune System attacking my organs/systems: They are NOT autoimmune because my Immune System doesn't use auto antibodies to do the damage, but they are like autoimmune conditions in the damage that is done.

I have a condition like Sjogren's, lung damage, bladder damage, profound peripheral neuropathy, small fiber neuropathy, Meniere's Disease, anemia, autonomic neuropathy.

I'm 74 and I am not diabetic. I also have CVID, an Immune Deficiency. I receive IVIG every 4 weeks.

Yes, my Immune system attacks my organs/systems, and yet it needs help to defend me from infections.

The worst case scenario.

Regards,  Elaine (aka Carolina)
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

Deb 27

I guess I will chime in and add another "yes" to your question. Not all neuropathy is caused by diabetes. Even smokers and people with high triglycerides can get neuropathy. Lots of different reasons. And, there is Sjogrens, like we have. I didn't know about the neuropathy at first either.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.