News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Mouth sludge?

Started by Wal, September 15, 2016, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal

This may sound gross, but do any of you have a sludgy mucous like substance in the back of your mouth throat? I've noticed this since my dry mouth started. It's around my tonsil area...

eija

Yep. Try searching this forum with post nasal drip...
And yes. It's gross. I think all of us would be happy to live without it  ;D

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

irish

Since the year 2000 I have been dealing with this and more. My lymphoid tissue in and around the back of the throat swells up and gets loaded with mucus and is painful. I have had some of this tissue lasered off in 2009 or so. It helped with the swelling in my throat for a while but didn't stop the mucus drainage but made it more tolerable.

The mucus that we make is abnormally thick and sticky and so hard to hack out and move around. I have had a really bad streak with this the past couple of years and can't seem to get much relief. We can't get the lymphoid tissue lasered too much because if too much is taken off the food and fluids will go straight down into our lungs. We need a certain amount of the lymph tissue in the back of our throat as it causes the angle in the throat that prevents everything from just sliding down into the lungs.

I have times when I just can't clear the stuff and get desperate. I have found that besides irrigating my nose with saline solution the next thing I try is to eat a tiny Snickers bar as the chocolate sort of grasps the mucus and drags it down. Also eating popcorn will also do the same thing plus Cheetos really help. Sometimes we can have infections in these glands. Have you had a culture done of your throat...maybe a swab done. I will get times when there is so much mucus that I know it is really abnormal and have learned that at these times I may have a recurrence of my MRSA or I may have overgrowth of the normal bacteria in the mouth that needs to be treated with antibiotics. This is worth checking out.

I often do nasal irrigations with Muropirocin for the MRSA or other antibiotics. I go to an ENT and they will order these products through commercial pharmacies who fill and deliver the drug to my home by UPS. Good luck. Irish

Carolina

Generic Mucinex morning and night.

Nasocort morning and night.

Simply saline, morning and night.

Otherwise I am strangling and swallowing all night long.

Regards, Elaine








Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

cccourt1942

Wal:  This was the first "medical" description given to me for sialadenitis five years before my SjS dx:  sludge.  At the time the ENT didn't mention SjS.  (Actually, never did)  none the less, it is a different "texture."  Because I've had it so long  (long before it started plugging up the parotid ducts) I have become accustomed to it.  I feel more like it's partially dried out glue.  Ick.  I was told to use Mucinex...and eureka: it works.  One caveat-IF we are talking about the same thing. I think we are.  I believe we are describing same discomforts as this aggravation is discussed on this forum frequently. 

Hope you get some relief.  It's an uncomfortable condition to say the least.
Sjoldier c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

DeadGirl75

Yep. I also find that the dryness makes my nose more stuffy and when I wake in the morning, it's what you call mouth sludge. I keep a bottle of water by my bed and that has helped some.
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.

cccourt1942

For DeadGirl:
Welcome to the forum. :)
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

keelton

i have the same thing and cannot get rid of it.  not sure if its because of reflux or sjogrens type symptoms,   its always there

Wal

Hi Cccourt,my sludge isn't uncomfortable just weird. It's different which is why I've noticed it. It seems to be only on one side. I don't have any swelling or discomfort of my glands so I'm not sure it's saliodentitis....

MAT51

Mine tastes like rotten sludge all the time day and night - has done for five years. I used to blame medications I was on for RA such as methotrexate. These did seem to make it worse by agravating my GI system.

Then, in April last year, I suffered a bout of pneumonia. A few days into this I found my mouth was filled with a strong salty taste. I assumed this was from one of the antibiotics I was taking, and it wasn't nearly as bad a taste as the usual rotten sludge taste. But ever since then I've had both comtinually. I don't know whether the salt is from post nasal drip, thicker saliva or reflux or is neurological perhaps. I did have an ultrasound of my parotid glands recently and all was normal, as are my teeth and gums. But I do have parasthesia in my mouth as well as everywhere else so it's very confusing. 

I was diagnosed by a very high amount of lymphocytes in each of my biopsied saliva glands. I find chocolate drags the taste down rather well but I'm overweight so try not to indulge. Chewing gum and saliva stimulant capsules and lots of water are my chosen methods of de-sludging hourly.
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

DeadGirl75

Quote from: keelton on September 18, 2016, 06:48:58 AM
i have the same thing and cannot get rid of it.  not sure if its because of reflux or sjogrens type symptoms,   its always there

Thanks a bunch!
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.