News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

stomach problems and suggestions about living without a gallbladder

Started by Winnie, November 01, 2016, 03:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnie

I had some upper stomach pain in the middle of the night about a month ago along with some bloating.  The week before, I was fatigued and had nausea.  I called my primary as I thought my pains were similar to when I had pancreatitis and my gallbladder removed (2014) but he sent a comment back that it was stomach spasms and didn't need to see me unless it got worse.  I decided to call gastro and asked to restart carafate.  So now it is going on 4 weeks and I am better but have twinges, nausea and IBS symptoms (gas and cramps) at times.  I am not able to take my calcium yet and I have found out that some foods still bother me.

So I made an appointment with gastro nurse practitioner for next week as gastro will take 3 weeks to get in.  I am really disappointed that it takes so long to get in.  I am worried why my symptoms won't go away.  I have tried to eliminate some of my stress but continue to worry about silly things.  I also wonder if it could be excess bile causing the problem as he indicated bile in my stomach in April when I had an upper GI.  Any advise would be appreciated about my situation or living without a gallbladder.  I had not been having problems until recently and even though I have no diarrhea, I may need to alter my diet again.  I am planning a weekend trip on the 11th and need to be better soon. 
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

irish

Sometimes when the gallbladder is removed some stones can sneak into the duct that attaches to the liver. This can result in some digestive issues and needs to be addressed by the doctor. The Gallbladder ducts can hide these small gravelly stones and they sneak off to hide when the gallbladder is removed. I hope I got that right. I do know that these post surgery symptoms are not unheard of.

I know how it is to wait for a doctor.....we just have to do things to keep ourselves in good shape as possible. I have heard that oatmeal is a good food to eat at this time. Irish

gurs

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 20 years old (now 52). I found digestive enzymes before meals can really help. They break down food etc. I would also stay away from alot of raw fruits and veggies, and dairy as they seem hard to digest. I take 15mg of prevacid a day.
My stomach is always a nightmare. I think this is common for so many of us. I understand about the GI doc and waiting to get in. Mine is the same way. I found making an appointment with his PA got me in quicker, and she conferred with him immediately about what he recommended...
Have you been checked for ulcer or hiatial hernia?

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Winnie

Irish - Could I have stones still when my procedure was over 2 years ago?

Gurs - I had an upper endoscopy in March and they found bile in my stomach.  No ulcers.  I have a hietal hernia but was told that that was common.  I also have gastritis.  Probably something else but I would have to look it up.  Thanks for the info.  I may try the enzymes but may wait to see what the nurse says on next Thursday.  I hope she is better than the doctor. 
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Winnie

Please say some prayers for me. I went to the nurse and she was very helpful.  I am getting a SIBO - hydrogen breath test done hopefully this week and also had bloodwork done.  I have not got a call back but did see my results and my lipase level was the highest normal possible and one of my WBC - mono was higher than the normal range.  Will wait and see if anyone calls me on Monday. I sure hope my problems aren't my pancreas. 

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

irish

Will be thinking and praying for you. Yes, people can have some of those gravelly stones hiding and  cat scan is helpful in finding them. We have had some people on this site who have had this problem. Let us know how things are going for you. Irish