News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Losing weight. LDN side effect?

Started by Nymph, January 30, 2016, 04:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nymph

So I know I've complained on here several times about being underweight and my struggles to combat it. Well, since November I have lost 5 more lbs. Now down to 92 lbs. (I was 91 when I got on the scale this morning but weight went back up by afternoon.) Low and behold, I find that low dose naltrexone (LDN), which I started in mid-October, can cause weight loss. I am sad because I think it has been helping me. At least I have had less jaw and neck pain which before were my constant companions. But as I cannot afford to lose weight I guess I need to stop it and see if I can gain some back. Honestly, I don't feel like my appetite has changed at all, and I have been drinking protein drinks daily. But none of my pants will stay up and I just bought two new pairs of 00 for work. If I can't keep my pants up the only thing to wear is skinny jeans and I can't teach in those!  ::)  So I guess I am going to quit the LDN for now and see what happens.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

gurs

What did your doctor say? maybe a nutritionist could help as well..When im trying to gain, I try and eat more carbs..lots
of bread and potato chips. What are you eating during the day? stress can also add to weight loss. I know when I dropped 10 pounds last month, I was moving.

I know getting on the scale all the time isn't good either. Try to relax a bit. Weight can fluctuate so much throughout the day.
When I weight myself in the AM with no clothing etc, then go to the docs, im always 5 pounds heavier? ha!

Maybe you can cut your dose of LDN down to see if that helps?

good luck

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Nymph

Thanks, Gursie. Yes I try to eat carbs at every meal. It is harder to eat enough of them because I am GF and don't have a lot of time to bake. But my weight had been holding pretty steady at about 97 until just after I started LDN. Lost 5 pounds over the holidays!   :P  I am on the lowest dose so I think I will quit it for awhile and talk to my prescribing doc when I see him next. I do feel that it has helped however it has not made a huge difference, so I am not too worried about stopping it. I would like to take it again at some point but maybe after I get my weight up. Yes, I should probably see a nutritionist and/or just take the time to do my own food diary and come up with solutions. (I had two courses in nutrition in college and learned how to evaluate and adjust a diet. It's a lot of work, though.) Yes, I have been stressed and I know that does not help. However, I should have gained some weight over Christmas when I had three weeks off and my mom was cooking for me. Sigh.   ::)
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

gurs

Stress seems to rev up your metabolism quite a bit. I too, ate a lot over the holidays, but my weight just kept dropping. I was also concerned. But, after I was moved in, and started to relax my brain, I started gaining it back again.

Im going to ask my doc about the LDN. I was reading where it helps with autoimmune conditions. I take a bite of a Vicodin every morning to control all my pain, though I want to take a lot more, it doesn't work well with my stomach issues (gastroparesis). I know you cant take LDN with narcotics though.

I hope you can figure this out...I know how frustrating it is.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Nymph

Thanks, Gursie. I will tell you that this weekend I tried tracking my calories online and felt like I had to eat a LOT to reach my weight gain goal. I guess that my appetite has been lower than the calories I need so now I have a better idea of what it's going to take to gain. Yes, ask about the LDN. I have heard good things from others. I will try it again once I get my weight up.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot