News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Update on Optometrist Appointment

Started by meena, June 13, 2015, 02:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meena

Quote from: cari on June 14, 2015, 05:42:29 PM
QuoteWell, I was diagnosed with PCOS; but the ER doctors and the ophthalmologist still think there's another issue going on (such as Sjogren's or an autoimmune diasease.

It's interesting you say that as I've just had a load of hormone stuff done and my doc says I may also have PCOS.  I looked this up and the symptoms are also fatigue, dry eyes, joint pain, brain fog etc etc So this also set me thinking and hoping this may be my problem but I think it's wishful thinking as I've had autoimmune rash  ::)

Are you being treated for low progesterone?  Is your doctor doing further tests regarding the PCOS?  Has this involved Thyroid?

When I was diagnosed with PCOS, my transvaginal ultrasound showed cysts on the ovaries linked to it.  I was put on birth control to make sure my periods wouldn't become irregular and to help with the chronic yeast infections I was getting, but they indeed made my periods irregular and I had to stop taking them.  They are still irregular even after taking myself off of birth control.  The first gyn I saw didn't want to do further testing, so I went to someone else.  That gyn did the tests, but everything came back normal.  I have another gyn appointment coming up, so I'll see how things are going now.

cari

Quote from: meena on June 15, 2015, 05:50:15 AM
Quote from: cari on June 14, 2015, 05:42:29 PM
QuoteWell, I was diagnosed with PCOS; but the ER doctors and the ophthalmologist still think there's another issue going on (such as Sjogren's or an autoimmune diasease.

It's interesting you say that as I've just had a load of hormone stuff done and my doc says I may also have PCOS.  I looked this up and the symptoms are also fatigue, dry eyes, joint pain, brain fog etc etc So this also set me thinking and hoping this may be my problem but I think it's wishful thinking as I've had autoimmune rash  ::)

Are you being treated for low progesterone?  Is your doctor doing further tests regarding the PCOS?  Has this involved Thyroid?

When I was diagnosed with PCOS, my transvaginal ultrasound showed cysts on the ovaries linked to it.  I was put on birth control to make sure my periods wouldn't become irregular and to help with the chronic yeast infections I was getting, but they indeed made my periods irregular and I had to stop taking them.  They are still irregular even after taking myself off of birth control.  The first gyn I saw didn't want to do further testing, so I went to someone else.  That gyn did the tests, but everything came back normal.  I have another gyn appointment coming up, so I'll see how things are going now.

Thanks for your response :)

It's different to what I'm going through as my progesterone is low and I'm not ovulating.  I have had ultrasounds before and no cysts have been found but that was a while back.  My doctor wants to repeat the tests at a different point in the cycle.  It's all pretty overwhelming and I know what you're going through. :)

meena

Quote from: cari on June 15, 2015, 06:34:17 AM
Quote from: meena on June 15, 2015, 05:50:15 AM
Quote from: cari on June 14, 2015, 05:42:29 PM
QuoteWell, I was diagnosed with PCOS; but the ER doctors and the ophthalmologist still think there's another issue going on (such as Sjogren's or an autoimmune diasease.

It's interesting you say that as I've just had a load of hormone stuff done and my doc says I may also have PCOS.  I looked this up and the symptoms are also fatigue, dry eyes, joint pain, brain fog etc etc So this also set me thinking and hoping this may be my problem but I think it's wishful thinking as I've had autoimmune rash  ::)

Are you being treated for low progesterone?  Is your doctor doing further tests regarding the PCOS?  Has this involved Thyroid?

When I was diagnosed with PCOS, my transvaginal ultrasound showed cysts on the ovaries linked to it.  I was put on birth control to make sure my periods wouldn't become irregular and to help with the chronic yeast infections I was getting, but they indeed made my periods irregular and I had to stop taking them.  They are still irregular even after taking myself off of birth control.  The first gyn I saw didn't want to do further testing, so I went to someone else.  That gyn did the tests, but everything came back normal.  I have another gyn appointment coming up, so I'll see how things are going now.

Thanks for your response :)

It's different to what I'm going through as my progesterone is low and I'm not ovulating.  I have had ultrasounds before and no cysts have been found but that was a while back.  My doctor wants to repeat the tests at a different point in the cycle.  It's all pretty overwhelming and I know what you're going through. :)

Yes, it is overwhelming.  If the PCOS is a link to the dry eyes, then I wonder how I can cure it..?

cari


Quote

Yes, it is overwhelming.  If the PCOS is a link to the dry eyes, then I wonder how I can cure it..?

Just keep an open mind and keep pushing for a diagnosis that fits your symptoms. So for me, I had pain as well as dry eyes as well as stopped menstruation, emotional fluctuations etc etc  So my symptoms don't just fit an autoimmune they also have hormonal implications recently confirmed by hormone tests.  You may be able to cure it through hormonal balance, medication or symptomatically through drops or medication used to increase the flow.  It depends what you are being treated for.  I'm half way through all this, still going through tests to diagnose all the symptoms and having to push my doctor to do so.  If you're unsure of anything or if it doesn't fit your symptoms, then get a second opinion.  What I do recommend is seeing a nutritionist and overhauling your diet which is something you can focus on while waiting for tests and appointments etc You could also consider alternative treatment such as acupuncture but be very careful about herbs in case they contradict any medication you have been prescribed. I have just finished a six week course of acupuncture and am sleeping better which is a blessing. :)

meena

Quote from: cari on June 16, 2015, 04:10:49 AM

Quote

Yes, it is overwhelming.  If the PCOS is a link to the dry eyes, then I wonder how I can cure it..?

Just keep an open mind and keep pushing for a diagnosis that fits your symptoms. So for me, I had pain as well as dry eyes as well as stopped menstruation, emotional fluctuations etc etc  So my symptoms don't just fit an autoimmune they also have hormonal implications recently confirmed by hormone tests.  You may be able to cure it through hormonal balance, medication or symptomatically through drops or medication used to increase the flow.  It depends what you are being treated for.  I'm half way through all this, still going through tests to diagnose all the symptoms and having to push my doctor to do so.  If you're unsure of anything or if it doesn't fit your symptoms, then get a second opinion.  What I do recommend is seeing a nutritionist and overhauling your diet which is something you can focus on while waiting for tests and appointments etc You could also consider alternative treatment such as acupuncture but be very careful about herbs in case they contradict any medication you have been prescribed. I have just finished a six week course of acupuncture and am sleeping better which is a blessing. :)

A nutritionist would probably be a good idea, especially for my IBS.   :-[

cari

Quote

A nutritionist would probably be a good idea, especially for my IBS.   :-[

Yes, a lot of people seem to give up gluten so perhaps that's something to discuss with the nutritionist or dietician :)