News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

No please no flare

Started by erica259, January 21, 2015, 09:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erica259

Is there anything anyone has done to quicken the recovery from a flare? I feel as though I may be in a flare right now. I have been working out 6 days a week for months and last Friday in a spin class things suddenly got very hard, like I had no muscle at all... it was odd.. but since then I have continued to feel weak, more tired than usual, I think it's a flare... I just don't know... I have been working so hard to lose weight since last May... I have lost 50 pounds but I have to work out to do it. I am so stupid... I thought because I was feeling better that I somehow beat this darn illness. I wanted to learn to instruct Spin classes and eventually teach and also be a mentor for weight watchers... but how can I when a flare can just come from nowhere?
I am not on any medications. I am allergic to steroids ( yes seriously) Methotrexate made me too sick and nothing else has worked.

Joe S.

1. Don't panic - it only makes the pain worse
2. Breathe through the pain. Your natural reaction is to hold your breath. Holding your breath makes your pain worse.
3. Meditate- Breathe in and think "I am", breathe out and think "calm". Repeat for duration of pain
4. Reflexology triggers endorphin release to painful areas. Endorphins are 1000 times more potent than morphine. Drink 8 oz of carrot juice a day to help your body make endorphins.
5. Distract yourself from the pain. I watch comedies as laughing triggers endorphin release.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

Hello erica259,

And welcome.  I don't know your diagnoses nor your medications, which are helpful to us and most post in our signature line.  You can see them on mine.

So I don't know if this is appropriate for you.  BUT here goes:  One way to 'interrupt' and stop the symptoms of a flare is to request a 'pulse' or 'taper' pack of corticosteroids from your physician.  This would be a 7 or 10 day, decreasing dosage of either prednisone or medrol and would interrupt the SYMPTOMS of the flare and keep them suppressed long enough for the flare to subside.

The flare is caused by activity of your autoimmune/immune mediated attack on your system (which is how is damages your moisture producing system and other organs and systems).

I don't know about a high level of activity during a flare, even if the symptoms are interrupted.   Perhaps others can enlighten me.

Best wishes and again, welcome!

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

wildforwater

Welcome Erica,

Unfortunately, flares do come out of nowhere and are something we all have to deal with. I do relate to your post, however, so I think I know how you feel.

I have been taking Spin classes for 17 years, am a certified Spin instructor, and am also a competitive road cyclist, my absolute passion.  That feeling you got while taking a class was the first symptom that made me realize something just wasn't right with me. One day I'm spinning, racing or doing a century ride, and the next, I can barely turn the wheels.  Crazy and extremely discouraging.

The good thing about Spin, or even cycling, is that you can make it as hard or as easy as you want.  I'm not sure how you can lessen you flare, but while you are in one, continue to take classes but put very little tension on and stay in the saddle.  I let my flares get the best of me and did nothing for over a year.  Huge mistake.  I've been "back in the saddle" now for a year and am determined not to lose the strength that took me so long to get back (although I doubt I'll ever be as strong as I was pre-Sjogren's).  Try not to worry about the weight.  You will be out of your flare and back to speed soon.

Hang in there.

Hugs,
Maria

Sjogren's; Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; Raynaud's Syndrome; GERD; Barrett's Esophagus; Gilbert's Syndrome; Tremors; SFN; Osteoporosis; Osteoarthritis; Lyme 2003 & Lyme/Babesiosis 2010; OB; Plaquenil; Evoxac; Restasis; Prevacid; Synthroid; Prozac;Estrace Cream; Vitamin D.

MarieB

Hi Erica,

Mostly I just want to say welcome.

I'm just learning but recently I was surprised by a flare after 2-3 months of 'good health'.   I immediately slowed down, watched my junk food eating, etc. and I think I'm coming out of it. 

I suspect I'm much older than you (66) and have a much slower lifestyle (no exercise other than dog walking and housework and a few leg lifts, etc).

A couple of days ago I had weakness in my arm muscles so slowed down even more, just sat around watching TV and reading, and it seemed to help. 

So far I'm not into a full blown flare. 

The hardest thing for me is to understand I actually have this disease and the flares are real but acceptance I think is key to having the best life possible in spite of it.

Wishing you the best.  Please keep us posted.

Marie
Diagnosed w/Sjogrens May2014
SSA >8  SSB >8 (0.0-0.9AI)H
Antichromatin Antibodies >8 (0.0-0.9AI)H
Anti-DNA(SS)IgG,Ab/Qn 37(0-19EU)H
Began Plaquenil May 2014

Pisces24

I used to overdue things and pay for it later. But the flares we get at times, we just don't know where they came from.

I hate it when stuff hits you out of the blue and knocks you on your "you know what".  :(