News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Made it through the Manometry...OMG.. caution...gross-ness ahead

Started by SjoDry, July 22, 2014, 09:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SjoDry

Hi Sjoggie-Mates.

Well I gagged (and I mean this very literally) my way through this test. I don't want to scare anyone that may need to have this test in the future (because I think that I have a hyper-sensitive gag reflex) that contributed to my copius vomiting. But boy am I glad to have that over with and may I never have to do that again.

Question: For those of you who have had the test...did you have any side affects afterward? I already had horrible chest pain (as I have had for many weeks now) before I did the test. But (sorry for the TMI) I am coughing up mucous with blood now.  Just a small amount last night & more this a.m. I called the doctor's office & spoke to the nurse who administered the test. She said that nothing she did would cause me to cough up blood. But I am wondering if anything could have exacerbated my chest pain & inflammation (like copius vomiting for instance)?

I guess I will just watch it for a few days & see if it gets worse. By the time, I could even get in with my Pulmonologist..it will probably be cleared up.

Just thought I would ask.

SjoDry

anita

I had this test a few years ago and it's right at the top of the 'horrific test list'.   Trust me, it's not you and 'hyper sensitive'...I think everyone gags/vomits, etc through this test, according to what the tech told me and I also experienced.

If it's just a small amount of blood, then probably all the vomiting/gagging while the probe was in there may have slightly irritated the esophagus...but always best to check with the doctor.

It takes a while for doctor to go through the results, so don't expect to hear from them for a week or so with the results.  Mine was negative and further confirmed that my spasms were coming from the cardiac arteries.  I take medication now that helps a lot and nitro for acute situations.

please let us know the results and that you have stopped coughing up blood.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

ohiolady

I had this done about six years ago and honestly it was just annoying to me.  The worst part for me was all the worrying beforehand on how I would handle.  Maybe I am weird???  Glad it is over for you.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Carebear

I just had this test done in June.  It was awful, but I went to my happy place and lived to tell the tale. The nurse had a problem with the insertion because I have had my nose broken in the past...likely more than once.   :(    Not her fault, but I still feel the pain.

For mine, I was given an anesthetic that was thick as pudding, which I was required to "pull" up into my nose.  So for five days I was very congested, had a headache and my nose ran like crazy.  The nurse warned me that sometimes this can happen if the gunk gets into the sinus area by mistake. 

My test was normal too.  I hope you feel better soon.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

LucyD

SjoDry, I hope you are better now. That test sounds like torture. Glad you survived it. Are you still coughing up blood and mucous?
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)
Age: 65

SjoDry

Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, I am still coughing up blood & mucous.

I called the nurse who did the procedure. She said that the Manometry would not cause this. To me there is a direct correlation. I had the test Monday a.m. and started coughing up blood on Monday night. I then coughed some up yesterday and again just a short while ago. My doc did see erosions on my esophagus & took biopsies for Barrett's. I am thinking that the tube that was crammed down my throat & may have flared it up & is therefore making it bleed. Doesn't that make sense?

My Rhemy says to watch it but I may need an ER. I just sent a message/pic to my Pulmonologist. And I also called my new dream team thoracic doc who did my endoscope. He is out of town, but the nurse had the doctor on call, call me back. He does not see too concerned. He just told me to watch it for a couple of days & see if it stops. I asked if the cyst behind my heart could be causing the blood? He did not think so. I am still getting what sounds like a terrible case of Laryngitis almost every day. This has been happening for many months. Nausea every day..blah blah blah.

I hope this test is never recommended again..because I wouldn't make it through it without general anesthesia :-O I have the Gastric Emptying Test & the HCT w/wo contrast on the 30th. I see my doc on Aug. 7th for all of the results. Oh bother!

SjoDry & coughing gross stuff


anita

Yes, it makes perfect sense!

You shouldn't even need this test again...regardless of the results.  If it's any consolation, the empty test is very easy.

Keep an eye on that blood and if it continues or gets worse, then head to the ER.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

LucyD

SjoDry,
Despite what the nurse who did your procedure told you, it does sound like the tube could have caused your esophagus to bleed and be irritated, especially where biopsies were taken and where you have erosions. Probably irritated it.
Hope it improves.
I had the gastric emptying test about 1-1/2 years ago and it was not too bad. I had to eat a scrumptious egg sandwich laced with the radioactive substance.
Good luck. Feel better. Keep us posted.
Sending hugs.
LucyD
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)
Age: 65