News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

What do you look for in a rheumatologist?

Started by warmwaters, August 30, 2013, 05:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warmwaters

Since we spend a lot of time talking about our rheumies, I thought it might be interesting to talk about what we look for in a good rheumy.  I'll try to pull a list of ideas together after the thread winds down, as we often get the question of what to look for in a rheumy. 

Of course, I realize not one size fits all, but it would be great to have some ideas to share with others. And of course we always make tradeoffs - there's never a perfect spouse or perfect house, so I don't expect to find everything in one person

So to start things off

What I look for in a Rheumy

1. Current knowledge of Sjogren's and related AI problems
I need someone who is treating multiple sjogren's patients, is up to date on the literature, and believes that Sjogren's is more than "Dry eyes, dry mouth".  Understands that diagnosis and treatment is complicated, and that there may be other diseases involved.

2. Good listener
Someone who does not dismiss new symptoms, and asks questions that sort the important from the unimportant. Someone one who listens when I say I am having side effects from a treatment, and comes up with a strategy.

3. Good communicator
Someone who can explain why a certain medicine or course of action is recommended. Who can help me assess the relative risks and benefits of a treatment.  (For me) It's ok if the rheumy supplements it with something I should read.

4. Does not treat me like a child or an inferior
Someone who understands that ultimately, I am the one who is going to be taking the medicine, suffering the pain, and dealing with living with this disease, and so I get to decide which treatments to take.  Who does not deal in "this is the next step that everyone takes", or "be grateful that your are not dealing with (some other bad disease)".

5. Network  of other specialists
We will be referred to other specialists - if I get too many bad referrals from a doctor, it makes me wonder what's going on.

6. Cares about me
After having had a technically talented but cold rheumy, I switched to someone who was very kind, who always asked me how I was coping (and not just what my symptoms were). I became aware that having a doctor who cares is so much better than just a technician.  For me, I prioritize the technical very high, but I am much happier if I have a caring doctor who also knows what s/he is doing.

Other considerations
Take my insurance
Efficient and nice office staff and billing team
Availability of appointments - 2 weeks or 6 months?
Convenience of getting to doctor

So what do you look for?

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Cassi307

I have a rheumatologist that fits all those categories.

The only thing I can add is that it should be easy to get an appt if I am sick and not wait for 2 months until there is an opening.

Also, I want all my md's to have hospital privileges at the same hospital in the event that I have to be admitted so I am not stuck with some stranger who knows nothing about my history.

Good topic.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

Joe S.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

star723

What I dont understand is why are they so hard to find in the first place.  If you are lucky you might have one or two to choose from.  I got lucky this last time when I needed to find a new one, she is very good and right in the local hospital.  But a good thing never last~ she moved!!  I did follow her to another place but it is hard for me to get to. 

warmwaters

Good points - I have a good rheumy, but she is not easily available quickly"

It means I have to have a backup plan when I need urgent help. 



. 
Quote from: Cassi307 on August 30, 2013, 06:06:45 PM
I have a rheumatologist that fits all those categories.

The only thing I can add is that it should be easy to get an appt if I am sick and not wait for 2 months until there is an opening.

Also, I want all my md's to have hospital privileges at the same hospital in the event that I have to be admitted so I am not stuck with some stranger who knows nothing about my history.

Good topic.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

eye2dry

My rheumy fits most of warmwaters list

except..............

if you don't do it his way.....he's curt with you

bedside manner not the best either.


However......he knows his stuff and that's why I keep going to him

although tempted by a new female rheumy in town who takes my insurance.


eye2dry


medications: synthroid- meloxicam- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

slccom

In 20 years' experience with chronic fatigue syndrome, we have learned that it never hurts to check out new doctors who sound promising. Sometimes they are good and have different ideas. Sometimes they are just adequate. A few have been garbage in a white coat.

All you have to lose is your copay.

Sharon

SjoAmy

If he pronounces Sjogren's correctly without my help we are off to a good start.... ::)

warmwaters

LOL  Good point!

Quote from: SjoAmy on August 31, 2013, 11:47:57 AM
If he pronounces Sjogren's correctly without my help we are off to a good start.... ::)

Which brings up another question - how do we figure out if we think a rheumy is worth seeing?   I feel like I have kissed some frogs along the way to find a prince (or princess) of rheumies?
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Cassi307

Good question. This is the first rheum I have seen since my diagnosis but sometimes I think about finding someone to get another opinion even tho she hasn't really done anything that I would dump her for.

I think that just for the fact that I am thinking about it means that I am wondering if I am getting the best I can get. I feel different about my neph and feel that I am getting the best care there. Kind of confusing.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

SjoAmy

I have kissed so many frogs along the way, that there are times in my life that it was frog soup!

Waiter!  Can you please take this frog back to the kitchen?  I didn't order this in a rheumatologist!

SjoAmy

I used to eat frog legs when I was in Delaware.   They are very good eating....and so are snails with clarified butter.....or is it buerre ?

Now the next time y'all are outside and see a frog, and you begin to think of your rheumatologist....you can blame us.  Lol.

SjoDry

I would add:

Compassionate

Someone who asks me a lot of questions...and based on my answers..asks me even more questions

A doctor who smiles ( this might fit in with the compassionate quality..). But a person who typically smiles is going to be a happy, relaxed & caring individual who both has and takes the time to listen & hear me.

SjoDry

Velcro

I would add, someone who doesn't give up.  Rheumy's are human and AI is so complicated that I like that mine doesn't jump to conclusions either.  One of the best things about mine is that he is having me come every 3 months and still putting the pieces of the puzzle together.  He WANTS to figure it out unlike the first one that said, just come back in a year if you're still having issues.

warmwaters

Good point!  Which gets to one of the harder parts of this - some times it is hard to figure out if a rheumy is going to work out until you've been a few times.


Quote from: Velcro on September 03, 2013, 08:15:13 AM
I would add, someone who doesn't give up.  Rheumy's are human and AI is so complicated that I like that mine doesn't jump to conclusions either.  One of the best things about mine is that he is having me come every 3 months and still putting the pieces of the puzzle together.  He WANTS to figure it out unlike the first one that said, just come back in a year if you're still having issues.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers