News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Knee Replacements

Started by susanep, January 14, 2013, 11:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susanep

Sorry  I am posting so many new topics at the moment, but I am trying to take care of a lot.

My dad just had an MRI and is suppose to find out soon if he needs knee replacements.

He is 80 years old. He probably ideally does need them, but with his age, and low income, is there any alternatives any of you folks can suggest?

I and he would sure appreciate it.

Thank you
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Scottietottie

Hi susan  :)

I wish I could be helpful here but I fear the alternative to knee replacements is a wheelchair.

I had a partial knee replacement in 2006 and i don't think I could have carried on walking if I hadn't had it. The pain pre-op was intense.

Maybe the MRI scan will show that some kind of repair is possible via arthroscopy.

My new knee gave me a whole new lease of life - but I wasn't 80. I know a 90 year old who got new hips when she was 80 and she got a whole new lease of life too.

I hope the MRI shows something reparable. It may do.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lighthouse33

Five Alternatives to Knee Replacement Surgery:

http://voices.yahoo.com/five-alternatives-knee-replacement-surgery-412778.html

Maybe this link can help you and your dad out.


Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Myshkin

Not an expert but I can't help think what my aunt at 50 underwent with knee replacement. That was a very harsh recovery and training and she is absolutely far from normal now many years after.

For many at your fathers age I am sure it is worth it. And I know knothing about different sorts of procedures. But make sure to get a realistic idea of the outcome of the procedure.
Newly diagnosed i 2012 with Sjogren's and feeling like crap. Just started Plaquenil and try to learn to live with the new me. Also joined by temporal lope epilepsy, auramigraines and PCO.

Joe S.

I was told after my fall that I also need to have my knee replaced because of the RA damage. Here I am 8 months later after taking two supplements and The doctor now says that I have a very mild case of RA in my knees. He tells me I am years away from knee replacement. Read up on it at Life Extension magazine. The two supplements are Bosweila and PQQ.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eyeamdry

I've had two knee replacements 10 years apart.  When it finally IS time, nothing else will do.  Drs have to go through cortisone shots,l Hylagan etc. before they can proceed to the total knee rep.

During the years, I've had so many people comment that "my grandfather had knee/hip replacement and he did very well."  I got a lot of that.  This is something that has to be thought through, remembering the longer you wait, the more pain and damage will be done to the joint.  When you cannot walk without horrible pain, it might be time to think about it.  Of course, your Dad and his dr are the best at judging this.  It's your Dad's knee and his dr will know if he is healthy enough to undergo the surgery.  Good luck.  Lucy

susanep

Thanks everyone. I go with dad today if weather permits to see what his doctor suggests.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi