News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

soy/gluten

Started by brooklyntina, December 05, 2012, 01:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brooklyntina

Hi guys,

I started getting really sick around the time that I went vegetarian. My husband insists it is because I need meat to be healthy but I'm convinced I just overdosed on soy. I believe all soy contains gluten but I'm not positive. Has anyone else noticed a sensitivity? Anyway, food for thought. Ha! I'm full of puns today!

::)

Sleepy In Seattle

Many people with autoimmune issues are sensitive to soy, so yes - that could definitely be causing problems!

Gluten sensitivities are also common, as well as cow dairy (sheep and goat are usually fine).

As far as I know, they two problems are not related, other than the fact that so many of us have both.

Try changing what you eat and see how you feel!

I have to be gluten and dairy-free, and 99% soy-free...otherwise, I flare. I feel best when grains (any kind, even gluten-free) make up 10% or less of my food intake. Given those restrictions, I find it very difficult to get good nutrition on a vegetarian diet. But I do try to buy only organic, free-range, sustainable eggs and meats (mostly locally produced) - it's expensive and I eat less meat/dairy than I would otherwise, but it's worth it to me both health-wise and ethically.
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

jazzlover

Soy is not good. Not the soy that is marketed today.

read this:

http://dogtorj.com/what-is-food-intolerance/the-history-of-the-big-4/

he has another article titled "The Battle of Helm's Deep" .. but I was too lazy to find it. (neck pain actually!)
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Carebear

The only connection between soy and gluten that I know of, is that most Celiacs cannot tolerate soy (and gluten, of course).  I'm one of them.  But soy however does not contain gluten.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Scottietottie

Soy is not good for hypothyroidism. I don't know why but I know it made a lot of people in the thyroid forum feel ill. I think it blocks the conversion of the thyroid meds to T3 which is what the body needs.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

jazzlover

The worst offenders are corn, soy, casein (dairy) and gluten. They can bind the gut.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Skylar

Quote from: brooklyntina on December 05, 2012, 01:50:19 PM
Hi guys,

I started getting really sick around the time that I went vegetarian. My husband insists it is because I need meat to be healthy but I'm convinced I just overdosed on soy. I believe all soy contains gluten but I'm not positive. Has anyone else noticed a sensitivity? Anyway, food for thought. Ha! I'm full of puns today!

::)
I have celiacs disease so I must avoid gluten, but I seem to do fine with soy even though I have Hashimotos. The soy bean itself does not have gluten - but soy sauce and products containing soy sauce (eg hoisin sauce) do as soy sauce is made using soy beans and wheat traditionally. Foods like soy based burgers usually include wheat/gluten probably to help bind the beans into a burger shape. Instead of soy sauce, I purchase gluten free Tamari sauce... there are other choices such as coconut aminos etc for those allergic or intolerant to soy and gluten but want that salty, umami flavor in their food.

I'm also vegetarian and do not eat any meat or dairy products. I rarely eat soy beans or beans/legumes - getting enough protein is never a problem. If you eat sufficient calories, you should get more than enough protein. You can also run your diet through free nutritional software such as CRON-O-Meter or Fitday. I believe most or all these programs are based on data from the USDA. If you are seriously concerned, ask your PCP to test your levels. My PCP has tested mine over the years and I'm always within normal limits. Protein is in everything from iceberg lettuce to potatoes to nuts.