News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

how much water should we drink a day?

Started by iraisin, August 01, 2012, 06:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iraisin

I know we are supposed to drink like a gallon a day. But do sjogren's folk need to drink more? If so, what is recommended?

Winnie

I told my gastro that I was drinking 120 ounces a day and he acted like that wasn't enough since I still am constipated.   :o

Winnie  :)

I
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

susanep

I would be doing good to drink that much.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Nancy60

I actually asked my Rheumy that several years ago and she told me to drink what ever I needed to be able to tolerate the dry mouth, but as far as actual amount it is the same as for people without Sjogrens (6-8  8 oz glasses a day)  She said the problem with sjogren's isn't that we don't have enough water, it is that our glands don't work or don't work as well, more water won't help that. 

She also said if I am dehydrated because I don't drink the 6-8 glasses/day, that my dry mouth will be worse.

At least I know I don't have to drown myself in water, but I do try to do the recommended amount.


You can actually develop serious electrolyte imbalance from drinking too much water which can cause real harm and even death, so don't overdo it either.  I am not sure of the amount that would be too much though.  Just wanted to caution people if they are tempted to go way overboard.

Nancy

matildamillicent

I drink at least a gallon a day. I have a big drink bottle that's about half a gallon and fill it up twice. Plus then I'll have a glass of water to take my meds etc. I think as long as you feel ok and are drinking water, then it's ok.