News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

being around a friend who smokes? bad for me?

Started by valene2009, December 24, 2011, 12:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valene2009

ok. i sit outside a lot with my friend who smokes-i do wear my shades etc.  and i figure its outside so much smoke could i be getting?  is 2nd smoke bad if we have shades on?  i mean i read that smoke is bad for cataract formation and retinal probs too... now i am thinking its prob not good for my eyes or sjogrens huh??? believe me i can never be around smoke indoors... that is a nightmare for dry eyes and throat

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

I find being with friends who smoke hard now - and I used to be a smoker. Back then my eyes were not as dry - nor was my mouth. The smoke hurts!
Friend who wear perfume are even worse though. Perfume makes me cough and wheeze. It never used to but I can't stand it now.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

valene2009

thanks.. so the 2nd hand smoke (even if wear shades) could be irritating my eyes?? ughhh.. i will just have to not go outside on friend's smoke breaks!! thanks..

irish

I think that having the cigarette smoke near the eyes can be very drying and irritating and near the lungs is even a much higher risk. The least amount of smoke irritates the mucous membranes in the lungs and sjoggies need to take care of their lungs. Irish ;D

Corella

I find my sense of smell is so acute I cannot stand even the slightest whiff of ciggy smoke, it burns my nose and mouth.  Same goes for strong smelling foods and perfumes, I am super sensitive and stay away from smokers Im afraid - wherever possible.  It is as though God has given me a bionic nose and sense of smell or something, very weird.

eyeamdry

I would be thinking more about lungs and lung cancer as opposed to dry eyes.  Sorry to throw in the wrench.  Second hand smoke may make your eyes burn, but hardly anything permanent unless this is someone you live with and spend most of the day and night with.

Valene, this post is pertinent to me just right now.  Forgive me if I hijack your thread.  I have a daughter (only child of any age. lol) who is in her 40's, single and quit smoking a couple of years ago.  She is also Type I diabetic which means she needs insulin every day.  I was more happy when she quit smoking than when I did.

For about a month now, she has had a terrible cough of bronchitis and I wonder pneumonia if at times.  No voice, voice going in and out.  Laryngitis etc.  She just says she has been to the dr and has Claritin or some allergy med.  I smelled smoke in her apt the last time we were there.  Well, she is dating a guy who is a heavy smoker and even stinks like a chimney she told me a long time ago.  Sure enough, if she isn't joining him in smoking, she is around him enough to make her so awfully sick.  I'd better be quiet or I'll be blamed for "causing a fight." 

She is coming over tomorrow and we are all going out for lunch/brunch/supper.  How am I going to keep quiet?  This has been more than a month.  Valene just keep enough distance between you and your friend.  Don't spend a lot of time together, especially inside.  Do not let him smoke in your house.  So yes it is bad for you, but you can keep the risk down.  After awhile, maybe he'll quit for you.  Lucy

genko_b

I agree with Lucy's concern about second hand smoke and your lungs. My brother-in-law died of lung cancer at age 46 and so our family has done a fair amount of research on it, and there is no good way to be around smoke. Our lungs are really vulnerable.

The other thing that doctors have discovered is that second-hand smoke is a leading trigger for bladder cancer, that is, in the person being smoked at.

So you would be doing yourself and your friend a big favor by not encouraging the smoking with hanging out together.

Take care,

Genko