News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

More blood lab results in

Started by LisaMarie, October 01, 2011, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisaMarie

Quote from: gold55 on October 03, 2011, 07:42:27 AM
LisaMarie,
Do you mind me asking what you think the bumps on your scalp indicate?  thanx

I have no clue. :)  Just throwing it out there.  They come and go.  I notice that I get them about the same time I get the bumps behind the ears on my neck.  Kind of like hives but they do get touchy.
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

gold55

I ask because I think I get the same thing on my scalp but only in the summer so I "assumed" they were breakouts where my scalp might be sweating.  Recently I did hear of someone with Lupus having a scaley scalp but I have yet to test any positive markers or rashes for Lupus?!  Perhaps you and I just have sensitive skin :)  jill
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

LisaMarie

More abnormal results posted on my medical records:

EBV IGG AB   POSITIVE   NEG -         A
EBV IGG AB QUANT   701   <18.1 -     U/ml   H
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

Carebear

Hi LisaMarie,

I can't comment on your test results precisely, but I know that if you have positive EBV antibodies, then it is likely that you have a current, or had a very recent, EBV infection (Epstein-Barr Virus).
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

LisaMarie

Getting sooo frustrated as the PA, Abby, sent me a note saying all my blood work is normal.  AAAAACK!  Is she not listening to me?  Not reading my messages back to her?  Why is a PA handling this anyway?  Where is my doctor?  Should I just remain calm (or as calm as I can be) until my appointment next Tuesday with the Rheumy?  This fatigue, heart palpitations, pain, brain fog, etc is driving me literally insane.  I had thought that seeing some of the results being off would at least tell them that I'm not making this up.  According to Abby, The EBV is a test they do for mono...yes.  I understand that.  She said it shows that I've had an infection in the past but not an active infection.  She said the Anion Gap means nothing.  The only time they would look at it is if I was in the ICU and deathly ill.  She said the ALT is very slightly elevated and that they will keep an eye on it but not worried about it.   She will not comment on my explanation that their level for the TSH is not with today's standards and that my 3.87 should be marked as high.  What I wouldn't do to be able to get a full 40 hours of work in a week!!!!!  Heck at this point, just give me 30 hours and I'd be somewhat happy if they would allow me to apply the other 10 hours towards my housework.  Any one else from Central Pennsylvania who can make a recommendation on who to see?
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

A66eyroad

Quote from: LisaMarie on October 04, 2011, 09:12:17 AM
She said the Anion Gap means nothing.  The only time they would look at it is if I was in the ICU and deathly ill. 
Pardon me for asking, but if it means nothing then why did the doctor do the test?
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

skygirl

Hi Lisa,
I go the same clinic in PA. I sent a private message.

But I have to say, I never got anything out of blood work. My blood work they say is always normal, with one exception that is...I always have something that indicates anemia... I can't remember what is low. Since I was a child, every blood work shows some anemia. I need to take care of that, I think I have some blood disorder.

But if your blood work is normal, that is a great thing. You would have to go by symptoms.

General practictioners...well I had quite a few...But, I get some treatment, and some answers from all the specialists. I have skin problems, autoimmune related confirmed, but not sure if I have Sjoegrens, and if  my Gastro problems are due to my gallblader surgery or if they have some autoimmune correlation.  But I'm going to find out. I feel that I'm the right path now with the doctors.

Little by little I'll get my answers.
43 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

gurs

Have you seen a derm regarding your skin issues? they might be able to help as well?

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

irish

Skin issues can go with sjogrens or they can be an entirely separate disease process. Also, there is a lupus that affects mostly just the skin called Discoid Lupus.

The anion gap that you are concerned about---probably is just the way she explained it. Keep in mind that many times blood work will be borderline and even if it is a little high or a little low the docs don't panic because what we eat and drink can affect the levels. If we are over hydrated or dehydrated there can be some odd blood work levels.

Also, keep in mind that your cholesterol is not that high. Most places will not treat it at that level, especially if your other lipid levels are pretty good. There is always the problem of drug reactions/allergies, etc so docs don't just throw a person on a statin if it is a little elevated. They like a person to try the diet control first.

Also, is it possible that your lab is still going by the old TSH levels??? Used to be that they used the number 5.0 as the high edge of normal. It has recently been changed to .3 through 3.0 I believe. It is worth requesting to see an endocrinologist if you are concerned about the TSH. Everyone is different and reacts differently to slightly elevated TSH.

In view of the symptoms that you mention it seems that waiting till an appt on the 11th is not out of line. I know that palpitations can drive you crazy. I have been the whole nine yards on that one myself and it took a long time to figure out. Turned out that I was anemic and the minute I would stand up to walk 2 steps my heart rate and respirations would jump big time.

The only thing I can tell you is to stay calm and sit down and rest more often as that in itself helps to settle the brain fog at times. Too much stimuli to the brain will make brain fog worse on those bad days. The thyroid can sure cause the brain fog issues.

Just try to stay calm and don't worry big time until the docs tell you to. I said it before and I will say it again. The amount of worry that we do unneccesarily canr eally make our symptoms worse because of the increase in our stress level. I know it is hard not to fret, but try to make your brain think of other things and keep busy. Irish ;D

LisaMarie

No, I've not seen a derm yet.....I am just coming off some the bumps on my scalp.  They seem to be clearing up again.  When they break out again, and I know they will, I will contact them too.

I feel mainly bad because I've missed so much work lately mainly due to fatigue.  I have some traveling coming up in the next month and I worry some about that too.  But, one step at a time and I know I cannot let fear keep me from trying to move forward to the best of my abilities.  As far as a diagnosis goes, I will be patient.  Or at least try to. lol
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

jazzlover

Quote from: LisaMarie on October 02, 2011, 07:51:56 AM
  I don't have the red butterfly rash on my face but on the front to the sides of my neck I have a maroon type rash that fades in and out.  I also get bumps on my scalp...mainly around the hairline but some throughout the scalp.  They come and go.  I get them on my neck especially behind my ears.

Hmmm... so just what IS the neck thingy?? I have that too. AND I have the bumps in my scalp and some white things behind my ears sometimes. I do think the scalp and ear thing is candida/yeast. Mainly because dandruff shampoo fixed my scalp issues and I know for a fact that I've had yeasty things behind my ears before. Can't seem to get rid of it this time.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

gurs

You def need a derm...I have those flaky white-ish patches all around my hairline...she said it was
a form of scalp dermatitis..to use nizoral or she gave me a script for some other stuff. Important for them to diagnose and treat this.
I know you can buy shampoos for this at pretty much any store as well.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements