News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

UUUGH plaquenil side effects...

Started by babsinga, October 11, 2013, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babsinga

Hi,

I hate Plaquenil. I think half my hair as fallen out since I started taking it a few months ago. Can anyone reassure me that it will grow back? i know its a vanity issue but my boyfriend brought it up last night and it is disturbing. I tried to get to 400 mg but my stomach won't allow it so I have been on it for 2 months at the lower dose.


Joe S.

After I went blind from it my doctor said I was better off that way. My sight returned when I quit. Remember it is a form of chemo. Where your bandana proud or find some alternatives that will work for you as I did for myself. I would say what they are but I do not remember.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

SjoGirl

I am sorry you are having these problems, my side effects were far less severe and diminished after several months on the drug. Are you taking the generic version or the brand name? Some folks react differently to the brand than they do to the generic.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

LadyDi

My hair is also falling out, but I am not sure if it is from the Plaquenil or the AI disease.

A previous poster mentioned that Plaquenil is a chemo drug. I would like to clarify the fact that Plaquenil is NOT a chemo drug, but in fact belongs to a group of meds called DMARDS (Disease modifying antirheumatic drugs.) I was told by my rheumatologist that it acts as an anti-inflammatory in the body.

I have had various side effects from this drug and I have decided to stick it out and stay on it. I found that the best way to make my decision was based on whether the benefits outweighed the risks which they did for me.

Good luck & take care.
Primary Sjogrens, fibromyalgia,partial thyroidectomy/hypothyroid, asthma, chronic sinusitis/nasal polyps, environmental allergies. Plaquenil, Evoxac,Restasis,Neutrasal, levothyroxine, Zyrtec, Singulair, Proair inhaler, spironolactone

babsinga

Hi Lady Di,

My boyfriend said the same thing to me. If the benefits outweigh the side effects, I should stick to it. However the more I read about my test results and especially my elevated ACE levels which are indicative to Sarcoidosis as well as a positive sjogrens antibody test, I wonder if I shoudl be taking Prednisone...  Its frustrating....

Calli66

The first thing I think of for hair falling out is thyroid hormone problems, not Plaquenil side effects.

Stomach issues and Plaquenil--definitely YES. I tried Plaq for 2 years at 400 mg and then 200 mg---my digestion was a mess!

So check your thyroid levels (not just TSH, get the Free t3, free t4, and reverse T3 checked). Even if you've been told your levels are "perfect," they may not be, depending on how well your doctor understands thyroid problems, and interprets your labs.

Give Plaquenil a good 8 months or so trial---you should know better then if it's going to be beneficial.

Calli

lolokonoki

When I was on  lyrica my hair started falling out.  I called my rheumatologist and the receptionist said everyone looses hair every day.  I brought her a Baggie of the hair I had lost that one day and they sent me to a dermatologist.

The dermatologist recommended I use rogaine foam for men.

I stopped using the lyrica, started the rogaine and my locks returned.

It is up to you AND your doctor what you do from here on out.  Doctors don't weigh benefit/risks like we do.

Good luck
Lolo
Primary Sjogrens, Lupus, RA, Fibromyalgia and Seizures too! Current Meds: Methotrexate, Cevimeline, Oxycontin, Baclofen, Folic Acid, Tizanidine, Oxycodone, Toperimate and Humiera