News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???

Started by Enjoy Your Day, April 04, 2011, 12:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enjoy Your Day

Thank you in advance for help.  I'm exhausted already from joining so please forgive this brief and direct hello/question.  Rheumatologist at last follow up two weeks ago noted enlarged glands and lymph in neck. Two dyas later I got a head cold.  The past two weeks have been progressively worse, I now have earache, loss of voice/hoarseness, congestion/runny nose, and beginning of coughing up phlegm.  Is it doctor visit and antibiotic time?  I am used to letting colds run their course but my immune system had been acting up even before this cold and I am concerned about letting this get out of hand. I' m on so many different meds right now I really don't want to add anymore.  Suggestions anyone?

Current meds include cymbalta, lyrica, opana er, nucynta, vimovo, amrix, maxalt/fiorecet, and Prozac, Lotomax, restatis
Diax: sjogrens,  peripheral neuropathy, raynauds, occipital neuralgia, fibromyalgia.  Other organ and tissue involvement currently being investigated.   

Joe S.

It sounds like you have an infection that should be treated.  Some of us have posted what we are taking in our signatures to help others. I am into alternative therapies as you can see by my signature. Try wearing a mumps scarf over you head.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jellyb

Hi there, i am so sorry to hear how ill you are. I always think its better to be safe and call the doctor. Even if it is just leaving a message with the nurse and let them decide if you need to be seen. You have been sick a long time and you might have developed a secondary infection or not. But i think you should fire off a phone call to the doc.
Feel better soon.

Joe S.

I am sorry I forgot my manners. Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of information here.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

newhorizons

Welcome aboard, Enjoy Your Day,      Google Medline Plus and search the expectorant, named Guaifenesin.

My Duke rheumy mentioned it to me over 10 yrs ago and have used it when feel mucus getting thicker... Sure helps clear 'mountains' of mucus!!!!

Am having flare and am taking 400 mg morning and night.

As you research you will discover this makes up a large portion of some of the Robitussin products that are over the counter.

LOL, Joy

Blue Hydrangea

I'd see a doctor.  I'm a newbie to Sjogren's but for the last two years I've noticed that I've gotten a cold that I thought would go away, turned into upper respiratory infection and it took in both cases two courses of different antibiotics to finally clear it up.  Just when I'd think it was going away it would come back.  I read this can happen with Sjogren's because of the dry nasal passages.  I'm no longer going to wait to see a dr. when I get sick now that I know this.

Good luck!

hootyhu1

Welcome!  I would call the doc, I had a cold that turned into bronchitis VERY fast! It is better to be safe then sorry. I hope you feel better soon!-hootyhu

Lauralou

I'd say call the doc too. I think with any AI any kind of bug or virus can turn into something worse. I'm new to the AI world, but living with my mom who has rheumatoid arthritis, if it was her turn to get the crud she got it so much worse.  I'm learning not to be so stubborn and not waiting 3 weeks to go to the doc with a nasty bug.

Enjoy Your Day

Wow! I feel lucky to have found this site. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  Went to doc today got a script for antibiotics (Levaquin) I did have an ear and throat infection. Also my lymph nodes under my arm, in the back of my neck, and in my forearms are swollen and hurt like the dickens.  I'm guessing that's normal??? Taking the suggested guaifenesin someone on this site talked about (checked with doc said OK) and now the pressure in my face, head and chest are easing up.
Thank you all and Enjoy Your Day the way that makes you feel good:)