Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Melissa3249 on May 22, 2009, 08:59:21 PM

Title: Thumb joint reconstruction: attn: Linda
Post by: Melissa3249 on May 22, 2009, 08:59:21 PM
Linda,

I posted a few months ago that I was having reconstruction of the basal joint done, and you replied that you were considering it.  I wanted to let you know my outcome: WONDERFUL!!!  It is three months post-op and I have full use of my thumb for the first time in ten years.  It will take another 4-6 months to heal completely, but I don't think my thumb knows that.  I have 80% of the strength back already, with 100% range of motion...and no pain.  If you have a good surgeon, I highly recommend having this done.  I am having the other thumb done next winter...

Good luck,
Melissa
Title: Re: Thumb joint reconstruction: attn: Linda
Post by: Linda196 on May 23, 2009, 05:37:28 AM
Wow Melissa, thats a great outcome, I'm so happy for you!

Did you start with the dominant or non-dominant hand? For some reason my non-dom thumb is in worse shape that the other, possibly because the wrist on the dominant side is garbage, so I might not have abused the thumb as much while protecting the wrist!

(http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq268/olatesgranny7x/ThumbsUp22_thumb48.jpg)
Title: Re: Thumb joint reconstruction: attn: Linda
Post by: Melissa3249 on May 23, 2009, 07:29:35 AM
I started with the dominant hand, because that was much worse.  I was really only incapacitated for the five weeks that the cast was on, but I figured out how to do stuff....