Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: jas1223 on May 22, 2009, 06:33:15 PM

Title: dry white gums?
Post by: jas1223 on May 22, 2009, 06:33:15 PM
i have noticed that my gums are becoming white from dryness i guess
i was wondering if there is a gel or somthing that i could put on them at night to help with mositure
Title: Re: dry white gums?
Post by: Leisa on May 23, 2009, 06:02:45 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie too. I would suggest that you talk to your dentist about the white gum issues. I'm not sure if you've been told that you must see your dentist more often as you are more susceptiple to decay. I now see mine every 4 months to hopefully avoid decay. Having the dry mouth means you don't have enough saliva to wash away some of the bacterias. Try to use some of the toothpastes for dry mouth like Biotene. It helps and is not as harsh on your teeth.
The only reason i know a little about this is i was a dental technician for 32 years. I hope you find this helpul.
Good luck with your journey with Sjs. This is a wonderful supportive group here. Welcome!
Title: Re: dry white gums?
Post by: Epson on May 23, 2009, 09:28:38 AM
Wow, I thought it said "dry white gin", brain fooog :D
Title: Re: dry white gums?
Post by: Dolly Dimples on May 23, 2009, 04:15:35 PM
  Hi Jas,  I too think you should let a Dentist  or a Doc see the gums..

       Healthy gums are pinky colour, so this might even be a blood problem such as Anaemia

  For your dry mouth try Biotene Oralbalance gel,  which is  saliva replacement  ,that you spread around the mouth at bedtime, it helps me greatly..
                           Hope this helps, Dolly.
                                           
Title: Re: dry white gums?
Post by: Patze on May 24, 2009, 05:29:08 AM
The others are so right, please do see your dentist about this.  I've gotten the "white" gums a couple of times and I could never figure out why either (this was before all of this mess started). 


Patze