Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: lesmom on May 21, 2009, 08:24:28 AM

Title: Arthritis in Ankles, feet, knees, hips
Post by: lesmom on May 21, 2009, 08:24:28 AM
Good morning, all
I was wondering how many of you noticed to have arthritis or severe joint pain prior to you other symptoms showing up. I've always had the dry eyes and skin, but never gave much thought to it. In high school though My joints really started having issues. I did tear ligaments in my 1 ankle from a bad horse accident and thought that was part of the problem. I had problems with my knee when I was about 14. When I was 16 my feet, ankles,knees and hips all swelled up on me so bad that I was given the option, get healed and play high school BB, or be able to walk when I was 40. They did the basic test for lupus and RA at the time. The swelling went down, But the arthritis and the feeling of it has never gone away. It has gotten worse. I don't know if this was the start of SJS starting up then, or what. I'm just anxious I guess and wish the wait was over for the rheumy to get all the in depth testing over with.
Today is an off day. The fatigue is and pain is trying to get the better of me. Rainy, damp. gloomy days..........
Thank you all and hugs and blessings,
Leslie
Title: Re: Arthritis in Ankles, feet, knees, hips
Post by: lesmom on May 21, 2009, 08:26:21 AM
Another thing I was going to ask- Did the rheumy take x-rays to get a better look at your joiuts on your 1st visit?

Thanks,
Leslie
Title: Re: Arthritis in Ankles, feet, knees, hips
Post by: Scottietottie on May 21, 2009, 11:45:48 AM
Hi Leslie  :)

I don't have RA. First joint I ever remember having a problem with was a big toe when I was still in Junior School. It was put down to 'growing pains' but hurt enough to warrant having a bar attached to the bottom of one shoe for about 6 months so that the toe didn't get used for walking.
I frequently 'went over' and sprained both ankles. I think they were basically hypermobile. I hurt a tendon in my wrist when I was 21 and it's never been the same since.

Before I ever got dry I had tennis elbow and golfer's elbow in both elbows and was told it was due to shopping bags. (Now I know loads of people who carry shopping bags who don't have permanently sore elbows.)

Then I developed OA in one knee. I think its in the other now and I have OA in both shoulders. I don't know if I have arthritis in my back or not but my upper back and neck are the bits that hurt about the most right now and I can't get anyone to take a proper look at them.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Arthritis in Ankles, feet, knees, hips
Post by: jaygee on May 21, 2009, 01:43:25 PM
I am so feeling at home on here !

I always have "gone over" on my left ankle, for no obvious reason.  Plus when I was at school, I always had trouble with my right arm, and was told it was due to playing tennis etc.  I think it was tendonitis.    I still fall off my left ankle for no obvious reason, on a regular basis.  It doesn't hurt, it just embarasses me!   xx
Title: Re: Arthritis in Ankles, feet, knees, hips
Post by: lesmom on May 22, 2009, 07:42:35 AM
I've never been told it's RA, just OA in the ankles and feet. I've had some pretty good wrecks on horses and have done severe damage to my left ankle, but now I can't tell which ankle is worse when it comes to joint pain. It's like they get "locked" and oh man does it hurt. Weather changes really set things off too.

I was just wondering if some of these things that I went through in highschool with the joint pain and swelling was precursors to the SJS? As time has progressed things have gotten worse and I've always just sucked it up.

I am so glad that I have you all and this site  :)
Hugs,
Leslie