Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: jonnell on May 09, 2009, 05:17:34 PM

Title: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: jonnell on May 09, 2009, 05:17:34 PM
Hi guys once again I need your expertice(I know you get tired of hearing from me)  can anyone tell me what is it about the heat that causes Jennas leg pain to be much worse in the summer months? 
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Scottietottie on May 09, 2009, 07:23:39 PM
Hi Jonnell  :)

I don't have any medical explanation but I know I used to love the heat and now I hate it. The sun can make us feel ill. I thought the hot flushes were menopausal but I'm through that now and the hot flushes keep coming and they are worse in hot weather. heat just makes me feel more sluggish, lethargic and generally fatigued - so maybe Jenna feels like that too.

My daughter doesn't have SjS but she gets real pains in her bones if she eats too much dairy. She likes ice cream in the summer and quite often ends up unable to sleep. The age she is now - she brings it on herself. Had a bad time whetn she was a kid until we got it figured out.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: lynnmarie219 on May 09, 2009, 07:53:29 PM
Hi Jonnell!

I don't have an answer to your question, but I know how badly the heat bothers me and seems to make my pain more pronounced many times.

And btw....we never get tired of hearing from you!  :)
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Patze on May 10, 2009, 06:17:33 AM
Hi Jonnell,

I'm with the others, the heat drives my body crazy!  I get so weak, and the sweating, oh my, the sweating. 

I don't have pain with the heat, just the weakness and sweating.  I hate summers now.

Take care -

Patze
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Katybarstool on May 10, 2009, 07:39:54 AM
Cae I be awkward and say, I love the heat - it makes me feel so much better. My leg pain comes on when I am cold.

Kathyx
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: lynnmarie219 on May 10, 2009, 12:12:19 PM
See how this affects all of us so differently?  :) I guess this is your time of the year coming up then Kathy....I'm glad you get relief for a bit now!

This sjogrens is a crazy crazy thing, isn't it?
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Katybarstool on May 10, 2009, 12:30:26 PM
Hi Lynnmarie

Yes, t's definitely the Sjogren's that is crazy - not us ;D

Kathyx
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Patze on May 10, 2009, 02:42:02 PM
Okay Kathy, who you saying ain't crazy?  Them's fight'en words!!!!    ;) ;D

(http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-cartoon-013.gif) (http://www.freesmileys.org)     (http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-looney-toons-001.gif) (http://www.freesmileys.org)



Patze
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Katybarstool on May 11, 2009, 12:52:15 PM
Patze

You doubt my sanity. I think I'm in good company ;D

Kathyx
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Patze on May 11, 2009, 04:14:34 PM
Hi Kathy,

Nope, not doubting yours, it's mine that's in question.  ;D


Patze
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: JannaLee on May 11, 2009, 08:03:00 PM
Kathy,

I like it real hot for my aching joints (scalding bath every night)....BUUUTTTTT....when I get HOT or overheated, I'm totally miserable!  Apparently there is a tiny window of comfort.....it's got to be just right!

The sunshine makes me feel sick and my skin stings terribly.

Janna
PS:  I'm sorry to have to tell you BOTH, I have some serious doubts about y'alls sanity!...you too Patze!  Sorry.
Luckily, I'm completely normal and can judge how nutty you two are.
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: lynnmarie219 on May 11, 2009, 08:18:42 PM
Ok...what did I start here??

You all crack me up!
(http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif) (http://www.freesmileys.org) 
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Rostradamus on May 12, 2009, 01:47:23 AM
Heat is often responsible for "Flare Ups" not just the muscle. Sjogren's is an inflamitory type disease, so in heat ,blood vessels dialate, lymph system cirulates more rapidly, chemical reations take place more easily, including antibody circulation and formation. Yes a fairly warm shower helps ,beating on aching mucles and joints, for a while. But my favorite soak in a hot tub is just too much heat I think, I get worse. Maybe try a hot wet rag, sooth with the heat then cool with the evaporation.
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: jonnell on May 12, 2009, 03:26:27 AM
Rostradomus,   Thank you for that explanation so is it really the sun or the overheating of the body?  Ive always tried to keep Jenna out of the sun but it doesnt seem to help much it almost like she doesnt sweat.  Her cheeks get beat red and she gets miserable, but if she is in the swimming pool she is okay.  Hugs and Kissess    Jonnell and Jenna
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: JJ on May 12, 2009, 05:17:34 AM
I'm with Kathyx on this one the heat isn't as bad to me as the cold is...

but I think mine also has to do with the Raynauds...so it is really

hard to say...I don't see as many flares during the summer nor do

I need to take as many IBU, Kathyx do you also have Raynauds?

JJ
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Katybarstool on May 12, 2009, 05:45:14 AM
Hi JJ

Yes, I do, and peripheral neuropathy. Just wondering which country I could go to live in with a warm climate and healthcare system as good as here in the UK. I don't think I will find that country!

Kathyx
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: Billydude on May 12, 2009, 06:25:16 AM
I dread the summer approaching as the heat puts me into a total flare.  I feel my best when its cooler.
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: JJ on May 12, 2009, 07:41:06 AM
Well if you find that country let me know...as for Jenna just keeping her as cooled down as possible has got to help

maybe one of those mist blowing fans..i know my granddaughter loves it because its fun but it may help in two

ways for Jenna. I know if i get to hot which is unusual but i like to keep a wet handtowl around and place it on

the back of my neck...i really feel that Sjogrens messes with our thermostats...may go to a heating and cooling place

and see if they will install one in me...lol..Jenna is in my prayers.

JJ
Title: Re: question about the heat and leg pain
Post by: jonnell on May 12, 2009, 09:12:35 AM
JJ,  Thanks for the advice,  I think I might send one of those fans with her tomorrow for her trip to zoo.  Thanks for the prayers to.   Hugs and Kissess   Jonnell and Jenna