Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: mnwmoore on May 06, 2009, 06:18:50 PM

Title: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: mnwmoore on May 06, 2009, 06:18:50 PM
Hi, I was just diagnosed with Sjogrens.  I had many symptoms, so my doctor ordered a lip biopsy.  It came back positive for Sjogrens.   Does anyone else experience constant swelling in your paratid gland that also involves you face.  Only on my right side though.  Also sometime the pain in that gland and down in my neck gets pretty intense.   Just wondering if anyone has any ideas to relieve this.

Thanks and have a great day!
Margaret - Louisiana
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: eyeamdry on May 06, 2009, 06:22:26 PM
Hi Margaret-
Sorry about your parotid gland problems.  Fortunately, I have no problems so far with my parotid glands.  I can wait forever!
Welcome aboard.  Lucy
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: Linda196 on May 06, 2009, 06:26:09 PM
Hello, Margaret, welcome to Sjogren's World.

While SjS can cause swelling, usually it's both sides. Swelling on one side only could be caused by blockage in the ducts, and often that can be resolved by applying heat and massaging the gland gently, from the area of the ear downward and forward, and at the same time under the jaw bone, pressing (always gently) upward in the direction of the base of the tongue.

Even applying a warm compress or heat pack (the rice filled ones are great) to the area can help ease the discomfort.
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: Scottietottie on May 07, 2009, 08:18:37 AM
Hi Margaret  :)

Welcome to Sjogren's world!

I don't have the swollen parotids but I've certainly read in here that heat and gentle massage tend to help. I've also heard that sucking lemon drops can increase saliva flow but the flip side of that is that the acid is bad for the teeth.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: Redetha on May 07, 2009, 09:12:43 AM
I have the swelling in my glands-- it occurs mostly on my right side.  Only twice has it occured on the left.  My ENT is the doctor I see for this problem.  I also have had stones in the right gland (kind of like kidney stones but in the gland.)  Usually the swelling means that the tube that drains the moisture into the mouth is stopped up.  Put heat compresses on the side and "milk" the gland.  By this I mean, rub down face from ear down toward the bottom of the jaw.  This will help to release the fluid which has become thick and can't get out.  Your doctor may also want to give you antibiotics or shots to help.  Good luck.   ;D
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: fluffiebunnie on May 07, 2009, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Redetha on May 07, 2009, 09:12:43 AM
Put heat compresses on the side and "milk" the gland.  By this I mean, rub down face from ear down toward the bottom of the jaw.  This will help to release the fluid which has become thick and can't get out.  Your doctor may also want to give you antibiotics or shots to help.  Good luck.   ;D

I was recommended this on here - and it worked.. cant remember who told me - but thanks!!!

I had a hot bath and soaked my face and massaged and sucked!!! Lots of gunk later and the swelling subsided over a couple of weeks... such a relief as I had had it for over two months and the pain was incredible.

The swelling hasnt come back, but I still get strange pains in the area from time to time.
Title: Don't use Lemon Drops!
Post by: Pisces24 on May 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM
Forget the lemon drops. Don't damage your teeth like I did.

I also got a blocked partroid gland and my gp told me to use the lemon drops.One month later I go into the dentist and they hygenist wants to know what I had been doing to my teeth. The acid in the lemon drops will eat away at the enamel in your teeth and the enamel is very hard if not impossible to get back. 

So watch the acid in lemon drops. Rinse your mouth a bunch if you use them.
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: ktfabian on May 07, 2009, 07:36:04 PM
I have one sided Parotid problems.  Almost always it's my left.  My doctor taught me the "milking" method of massaging the gland after I had a blockage, and also increased my Evoxac.  I still use the lemon drops during the day when I'm a freak about brushing my teeth, but stay away from them at night.

Good luck, Tracy
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: kimbo on May 07, 2009, 08:16:01 PM
Margaret,

I am also one with the parotid issues. That is how my SJS began. Mostly on the right side some on the left. It has never flared as bad as it did 3 years ago when I was 1st DX with SJS. Fortunately even then it was not so painful, just tender and sore.

All the advise you have received by the others helped me also.

So glad you found us and I hope this advise has helped you, also

blessings kimbo 
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: jonnell on May 08, 2009, 03:40:05 AM
Welcome to the site.  My 4 year old Jenna has sjs.  She has paratoid swellling a lot but doesnt complain of pain,  Her sister calls her a little chimpunk becasue her cheeks always look full(mean huh).    Hugs and Kissess    Jonnell and Jenna
Title: Re: Swollen Parotid gland
Post by: lindar on May 08, 2009, 08:12:03 AM
I have had paratoid gland swelling only on my left side.  It starts when eating or drinking something.  It might quickly pass or last for 3+ days.  I have applied heat and sucked on sour things.  It is extremely painful.  I can't put anything in my mouth without excruciating pain when it happens.  My doctor gave me antibiotics to take if it lasts more than a day while trying other things to make it go down.  I have only resorted to the antibiotics twice but it reduced the swelling quickly. 
Good luck with this.  It can be terrible.