I visited my neurologist yesterday and told him that my new rheumatologist had mention brain fog being common among SS patients. He told me he has a problem with the term brain fog and preferred the term detached reality, a form of partial seizers.
This would explain why taking Lamictol seems to control brain fog.
Hi :)
Maybe there are different kinds of brain fog. I don't think the brain fog related to being hypothyroid is seizure induced - but then I don't know. It's the worst fog I've had though.
:)
Epson,
Very interesting. I just wish the docs really knew. They are practicing medicine, the operative word is practicing.
My brain fog has been better but when it was bad, I would get teased about having petite mall seizures because sometimes I'd stare.
Thanks for sharing.
Anna
Anna,
I know what you mean about the staring. I'm an educated person and I work in an office where I need to utilize my knowledge from college. There are times that I can't remember common words and I get really tongue tied. I use to be do fluid with public speaking, now I'm afraid to open my mouth half the time.
That is interesting what your neuro siad. The neuro I saw never said squat, course he diagnosed my Raynauds and put it in my report but never bothered to tell me let alone help me treat it.
Atleast we're not alone ;D
Take care, Leslie
Has anyone been tested for this? I think that would be the most helpful thing.
My son has absence seizures that were dx'ed by doing an EEG. He takes lamictal for them and is worlds better.
Why can't we get some Sjoggies who are already working with Neuros to have some EEGs done, so we can get some more data on what's really going on? Because believe me, I'd love some relief from the brain fog! :D
lesmom,
Not all seizures show up on EEG. I have had MRI and EEG, both negative, but Lamictol stopped the seizures and brain fog for a while, now I have to increase dosage to get everything under control.
We are talking about people who have a normal functioning thyroids and have no other health maladies that would bring on abnormal functioning or awareness of ones surroundings.
I've suffered with a lot of brain fog. I was prescribed Provigil and it has helped a lot. I take a small dose. Only 1/8 of a pill. I think that's about 25 mg. My brain fog was getting so bad it was scary. All of this still concerns me the doctors are telling me they can just try to treat symptoms. Better than nothing I guess?
Terri