Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: HL in NY on May 04, 2009, 01:03:41 PM

Title: Ophthalmologist Visit today
Post by: HL in NY on May 04, 2009, 01:03:41 PM
Since I just started on Plaquenil, I had a visit to the ophthalmologist today for a full workup. This was crazy. More tests then I?ve had done in a long, long time (and as a cancer survivor, that?s saying something) and having my eye?s dilated was as bad as everyone said it would be.

The good news is that he felt my eye?s weren?t too dry (I agree). Bad news is that my ?eye pressure? was high and I have to come back in two weeks for (you guessed it!) more tests. huge sigh

They aren?t sure if the pressure is being caused by the Pred that I?m on, and so they want to check and make sure it?s not getting worse. If so, Pred is history.

Of course, it goes without saying that Pred?s the only drug that has helped me so far, right?

Okay, I?m done kvetching. Just wanted to get that out. I suspect that the eye pressure is no big deal and the doctor is just being thorough, which is what I want. Right?

Hope everyone else is having a better Monday.
Title: Re: Ophthalmologist Visit today
Post by: Scottietottie on May 04, 2009, 02:07:42 PM
Hi  :)

Sorry to hear your eye pressure is high. I'm glad the opthamologist is being really thorough though. I've found that having a good opthamologist has been very helpful. I hope its not the pred. Awful if something that helps is bad in another way.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Ophthalmologist Visit today
Post by: KYMOM on May 04, 2009, 05:38:49 PM
HL, What kind of tests did they do for you?  I go in tomorrow for my eye exam (trying to make sure I see dentist and eye doc at least once a year now).  Roxanne
Title: Re: Ophthalmologist Visit today
Post by: lynnmarie219 on May 04, 2009, 07:02:41 PM
HL,


It sounds like you have a very good and thorough ophthalmologist! I think its good that you are getting your eyes checked out so well...although I understand what you mean about more tests!  :) My doc is the same way when it comes to my eyes.

I hope you get the pressure problems worked out....you know it really depends on who does the test and how....Ive had someone do it over and over again because they were unsure if it was accurate and it went from pretty high to normal after several attempts ( I still don't know what it really was that day)....so check to make sure the person is knowledgeable with this this test! If they don't get it just right....the pressure is not accurate!

Good luck!
Title: Re: Ophthalmologist Visit today
Post by: HL in NY on May 04, 2009, 07:16:58 PM
Quote from: KYMOM on May 04, 2009, 05:38:49 PM
HL, What kind of tests did they do for you?  I go in tomorrow for my eye exam (trying to make sure I see dentist and eye doc at least once a year now).  Roxanne

Let me see:

They checked my field of vision (machular), they checked my glasses to see how the prescription on those were,(fine) they checked the surface of my eyes with the glow-in-the-dark gunk for scratches/damage, they checked my eye pressure, they dilated and looked inside the eye as much as possible, they used a laser to take a picture of my optic nerve and finally, they used an ultrasound to measure the thickness of my cornea.

When all was said & done it was a two hour appointment and I was tired! :D
Title: Re: Ophthalmologist Visit today
Post by: dbab on May 06, 2009, 08:55:41 AM
The baseline appointment is very important and the more thorough the better.  Good doc you have!  It is important especially with the Plaquenil so they will know if you will have any problems with your eyes and the med.  I hope they can get to the bottom of the pressure problems with your eyes.  Sending good vibes your way!