Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Calli66 on April 19, 2009, 07:22:34 AM

Title: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: Calli66 on April 19, 2009, 07:22:34 AM
A woman in my SjS support group swears by Numoisyn (a prescription)---sugarless tiny pellet-like thing that you dissolve in your mouth to stimulate saliva flow. It has malic and citric acid---a little tart but not sour. I tried one at the meeting and decided to get an Rx for it.

But-----it's $25 for 100 lozenges! My insurance doesn't cover it. I went ahead and got it this once, and they do help quite a bit.

Goods news is that I found a cheaper alternative. Bought this at Whole Foods--it's called Spry Lemonburst Mints (not really mints). Same principle---sugarless (xylitol), lemon, very small like tic-tacs. They seem to work the same as the Numoisyn and cost only $8 for 240 pieces. I've only been using them 2 days, and find that now if I even "think" about them---the memory action gets a little saliva flowing. I am encouraged by this. The company is www.xlearinc.com (look on the products page--Spry Dental) and they have other products for dry mouth, too.

If you have some salivary gland function left, these products stimulate it.

Calli
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: Scottietottie on April 19, 2009, 10:10:45 AM
Hi Calli  :)

The lozenges my doc prescribes also have malic acid in them. They are called Salivix and they do help a bit too - but not for all that long.

Glad you've found something that's helping.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: BonusMom on April 19, 2009, 03:53:24 PM
I was given samples of the Numosyn (sp?) And love them. The rheumy gave me an RX, but I haven't yet had it filled.  I think I'll call the mail order pharmacy before I send it in to make sure it's not an arm and a leg!
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: ErinG on April 19, 2009, 08:43:20 PM
I got a prescription filled for Numoisyn last month, 120 lozenges for $14.40.  My insurance didn't cover it because the cost was so low.  I find that I don't need to take 4 per day as my rheumy prescribed it because I'm always chewing gum (or eating).  They do work pretty well.
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: DesignerS on May 30, 2009, 06:34:48 AM
Oh my goodness!  I went to pick up my numoisyn prescription and the pharmacy charged me $59.00  :o  I told them, no thank you, but they said the seal was broken and I had to take them.  Seriously, are they THAT good?  I am wondering if you can get the same benefit from sugar-free candy. 

Designer
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: ohiolady on May 30, 2009, 06:46:13 PM
I had a prescription for Numoisyn and my sugar free Ricola mountain herb drops work better.  Honestly, if your mouth is very dry at all, these work no better than a sugar free CHEAP drop.  I cannot believe they are prescription.  If I remember correctly, they have a lot of mannitol, sorbitol, and malic acid.

Anna
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: eyeamdry on May 30, 2009, 08:22:14 PM
I was given a bottle of Nuomoisyn and I honestly don't think much of them.  I have them by my bedside because it's something i can take when sleeping without choking to death.  They disolve in just a very quick time.  I won't pay for them so I guess I won't be using them again.  I would agree with those who say the little candies work as well.  Taste better, too.  Lucy
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: Patze on May 31, 2009, 05:31:07 AM
Wow, that is expensive!  Whew, drug companies are going to get us one way or another.  I love the alternatives y'all have come up with!  I'll try to remember them when my mouth gets on the dry side (keeping my fingers crossed!  :D).


Patze
Title: Re: Dry mouth lozenges
Post by: Cheryl on May 31, 2009, 02:21:04 PM
My insurance does cover the Numoisyn.   I like to have them in my purse wherever I am.  They help to tide me over to the next dose of Evoxac.   I did have trouble filling the prescription, though.   My regular pharmacy couldn't get them for me, but Walgreens special ordered them.
Cheryl