Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: jazzlover on February 11, 2017, 03:35:07 PM

Title: Auto-immune or DIET??
Post by: jazzlover on February 11, 2017, 03:35:07 PM
 www.  davidwolfe.com/girls-defeats-arthritis-lupus-removing-3-things-diet/
Title: Re: Auto-immune or DIET??
Post by: Sharon on February 11, 2017, 04:17:09 PM
Wish that approach would work for me...
I'm completely gluten/dairy/sugar free and on most of those supplements already,
yet getting worse rather than better.  :-\
Title: Re: Auto-immune or DIET??
Post by: jazzlover on February 11, 2017, 06:12:31 PM
GRRR... I was off all three for years and have been backsliding. I'm definitely feeling the result.
Title: Re: Auto-immune or DIET??
Post by: Sharon on February 12, 2017, 02:06:14 AM
Going off the diet worsens my condition,
but being on it is no "cure" for me.
Title: Re: Auto-immune or DIET??
Post by: Nomad on February 13, 2017, 08:21:47 AM
I am embarrassed to say I don't have the self control I had years ago when I went on a diet that clearly helped me big time.
My lupus was active as was my ITP...low platelets.

I read this book called "Fit for Life" in which the author advocate a variety of things, including food combining and vegetarianism.
I used some of those principles in the book combined with things I made up based on my own personal experiences....taking note of how I felt after eating certain foods.

This is what I ended up with:
Fruit in the morning...all kinds...usually just two different kinds...moderate amount. This was the only time I ate fruit. Sometimes, I would make a freshly squeezed orange juice.
Lunch .... a huge amount of vegetables....both cooked and raw.  If I felt the need, I would have a small amount of brown rice.
Dinner...every other day, a small amount of meat of some kind. This varied...chicken, beef, fish etc.  On the alternate day, I would sometimes have a small amount of beans. I would have a huge amount of vegetables every dinner...usually a salad, but sometimes steamed vegetables.  Sometimes, I would have a baked or sweet potato. I would have a minuscule amount of butter...1/2 a pat of the best quality butter I could find. On a rare occasion as a treat, I would have a 1/2 a piece of whole wheat bread.

I drank water between meals...tons of it.

If I got hungry, I would have things I deemed as very healthy such as celery, sweet potato etc. On a rare occassion, I would have a cup of popcorn with a minuscule amount of the healthiest butter I could find.

After a month or so on this made up diet, my test results were shockingly improved. My lupus went into remission, I lost weight even though I was on prednisone and my platelet count improved. 

Why o why o why cant I do it again???????





Title: Re: Auto-immune or DIET??
Post by: belovedchaos1 on February 15, 2017, 09:36:35 PM
I have to agree with Sharon. While having to diet and supplementation is essential in my case... I still get flares. There really seems to be ways of coping rather than curing.