Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Carolina on December 29, 2016, 07:50:17 PM

Title: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: Carolina on December 29, 2016, 07:50:17 PM
Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

Today I started back on Gabapentin and the effects were dramatic!

It wasn't just that ALL of the horrible symptoms were gone, there was the change in my perception of my life.  Time moved more quickly, I felt a flow with the world around me.

I was no longer 'trapped in my body' by the burning stinging itching.  When my skin was burning, it was always on my mind, and the sudden stabbing pains and intense stinging itch insured that I always was distracted back to my body and the present misery.

I discovered through this experiment with stopping Gabapentin that the drug was NOT causing my seizures/tremors (Myoclonus), but it WAS HELPING the SFN.  So I added it back today.

Whew, what a relief.  If only every treatment had such a powerful positive effect.  Now I need to find the right medication for my Myoclonus.

Hugs, Elaine



Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: Dawnmist on December 29, 2016, 08:10:37 PM
I'm so glad that you were able to get some relief! SFN is a nasty condition to have to live with.
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: Joe S. on December 29, 2016, 08:12:05 PM
Glad you are feeling better.
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: paulc182 on December 29, 2016, 10:20:44 PM
Congrats! It's always great seeing people make progress on here.
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: irish on December 29, 2016, 11:16:09 PM
Sometimes it does pay to take a "drug holiday" cause it can sure be enlightening when we start up on the drug again. Sure hope you do find a drug for the seizures. Irish
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: gmpurple on December 30, 2016, 03:49:55 AM
I am so happy to read this good news. I'm glad you are feeling positive effects! The positive emotional change must be such a relief for you. I wish you continued peace!
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: Wal on December 30, 2016, 06:26:12 AM
Great news! A great ending to this year!
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: Nymph on December 30, 2016, 08:10:41 AM
Yay, yay, YAY!!!! I'm so happy for you!
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: Carebear on December 30, 2016, 09:15:08 AM
That's great news, Elaine.  Continued healing to you in the new year.
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: wendyoh on December 30, 2016, 10:05:47 AM
Fantastic! relief sure doesn't hurt :)
Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: SjoGirl on December 30, 2016, 11:20:25 AM
Carolina, this in wonderful news! Odd that the Gabapentin doesn't have an impact on your myoclunus, it took care of mine.

Are you taking Plaquenil? I hate to say this, but I had to stop taking it because I couldn't stand the side effects. I know from not having been on it and having myclonus return that it was not the cause of those night-time seizures, but it did seem to make them worse.

Title: Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy Conquered Again.
Post by: Kathy57 on December 30, 2016, 01:40:30 PM
Elaine,

Great news!!!  Maybe you will be able to relax and enjoy the coming new year.  So glad that you are feeling better and can "lose" yourself in some other activity, without the constant distraction of discomfort.😄

Kathy