Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Deb 27 on December 19, 2016, 08:26:32 PM

Title: Quitting work question
Post by: Deb 27 on December 19, 2016, 08:26:32 PM
So, for those of you who left the work force either by retirement, quitting or disability, did it help you at all with your quality of life? I am getting weary of the struggle and think it's getting close to time for me.  I feel so run down from work. I turn 62 next month and think I want to give up work. I'd appreciate some thoughts!!!
Title: Re: Quitting work question
Post by: tobyis11 on December 19, 2016, 09:14:59 PM
This is more of a mental struggle than anything. I had to stop working at age 43 due to my Sjorgrens, Lupus and seizures from plaqunil side effects. I struggled with giving up my job for my health. I felt as if I was failing at yet another battle. What most people don't realize is that everyday with auto immune is a different battle. So whatever you decide do not beat yourself up about it. Be kind to you and listen to your body.
Title: Re: Quitting work question
Post by: Joe S. on December 19, 2016, 10:28:51 PM
1. get copies of your medical history. Review it. then take it to a SSDI attorney specialist. You are in what they call a donut hole. So, make sure before you file.

2, In the USA file FMLA to allow you to take time off on demand if you have not done it already.

Find doctors that will support your disability.
Title: Re: Quitting work question
Post by: eye2dry on December 20, 2016, 09:40:07 AM

Hi Deb27.

I am an LPN and I quit my job one day, kind of out of the
blue in Feb 2015. The problems I had with working with
RA and sjogrens was just too much. My clumsy stiff hands,
fatigue, lack of concentration, foggy thoughts, bright surgical
light sensitivity, my eyes were burning and blurry, in the
end I was wearing sunglasses to try to put up with the
bright lights.  (I was 57)

I filed for disability a few days later and I got my approval
letter on August 1st of that year (2015).

Now to answer your questions.

* I got lonely for the companionship of my co-workers and patients

* My co-workers called me at home to check on me and I met some
   of them for lunch the first year. I had to finally break away, it just
   made the transitioning worse for me.

* I feel better now after it's been over 1 1/2 years now. I don't find
   myself thinking much about my old LPN self. I have replaced it with
   other things.

* My health is much better because I am not stressed out over a job
   anymore, I get way more rest and emotionally I am better.


Yes, I have a few bad days here and there (mentally/physically)
but the good outweighs the bad.

PLease consider retiring while you still are not overwhelmed. I wanted
to leave but hedged for a long time and although I gave 3 weeks notice,
I just blew up at work one really bad day and regret it. Pain, fatigue,
short staffed, patient overload, phone ringing off hook, precerts.....
pharm. calls...prior authorizations.........I just unloaded.


shelly