Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Sharon on December 19, 2016, 10:30:03 AM

Title: Freaky symptom...what's going on?!
Post by: Sharon on December 19, 2016, 10:30:03 AM
So today I noticed my ring finger on one of my hands looks like
someone took the upper part where the nail grows and bent it upward!
It short, it looks broken and deformed though no trauma has occurred
and docs have ruled out RA time and again.
It doesn't look like any pictures I've seen of RA joint deformity on the net
since just tip of the finger is raised.
Please...any guesses???  ???
Title: Re: Freaky symptom...what's going on?!
Post by: Carolina on December 19, 2016, 04:10:58 PM
Send us a picture if you can, Sharon.   Have you tried Googling this, with an image?

I'm going to give that a shot.

Hugs, Elaine

Ain't we got fun???  Ha.
Title: Re: Freaky symptom...what's going on?!
Post by: Sharon on December 20, 2016, 01:32:20 AM
I have tried googling it and could not find anything resembling it.
Only found the opposite with the tip of the finger facing downwards.
Not sure how to add a picture here....
May go to a doctor today and ask about it.
Title: Re: Freaky symptom...what's going on?!
Post by: Linda196 on December 20, 2016, 04:23:33 AM
There is a condition called "turf toe" that causes this misalignment of the last joint of the large toe, caused by repeated small injury, or constant pressure, to the tendons of the toe, but I've never heard of anything similar in the fingers.Do you type, play keyboard, or do any other repetitive motion that put pressure on the ball of that finger? Another movement I can think of would be repeated use of that finger on a touch screen, in much the same way that thumbs can be affected by gaming controllers.

I'm obviously just guessing here, but recently there has been a whole new class of injuries, attributed to the constant use of electronics.
Title: Re: Freaky symptom...what's going on?!
Post by: Sharon on December 20, 2016, 01:38:32 PM
Sounds like a good guess Linda, but I really don't use that
finger much for anything. An orthopedist saw it and said nothing can explain it
that he knows of, but didn't think it was significant enough to cause concern.
It does cause me concern though becauase it's a deformity I never had before all the
joint pain began!
Title: Re: Freaky symptom...what's going on?!
Post by: Sharon on December 23, 2016, 02:36:45 AM
OK, my rheumatologist just diagnosed it:

Boutonniere's Deformity

He has no explanation as to why I've developed this, as it's usually a symptom
of Rheumatoid Arthritis but he claims I do not have RA because there is no visible swelling
of my joints!  :o
Is this true? Must you have visible joint swelling if you have RA?