Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: SjoGirl on December 18, 2016, 05:04:10 PM

Title: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: SjoGirl on December 18, 2016, 05:04:10 PM
The temperature where I live, northeast U.S., has been fluctuating fairly wildly. We had terrible cold late last week, wind chills below zero.

Yesterday we had an ice storm, but then the temps rose overnight into the 40s. By the time we left church it was in the 30s and now back down to the 20s and teens expected by morning.

I am mserable as a result. Anyone else?
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: Joe S. on December 18, 2016, 08:43:45 PM
inositol reduces the weather changes impact on your pain levels.

wit the recent weather in the mid-west,i take it twice a day.
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: Nymph on December 19, 2016, 03:23:14 PM
Interesting. I will frequently flare with a cold front.
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: Carolina on December 19, 2016, 04:09:48 PM
Now I've ordered some Insoitol, Joe, to see if I notice any improvement in anything!  It certainly can't hurt.

I have always had problems with the change to dryer colder weather.  Back when I had terrible eczema (birth to age 27) I would have the creepy crawly sensation all over my skin, a sort of shivering sensation, as the weather changed in the Fall. 

Now I have serious temperature dysregulation and I can't adjust at all to the change in the temperature outside or inside.  I'm cold at 68 inside and hot at 70 inside.   I sweat from the head even in the dead of winter.  My hands and feet are always icy cold.

I don't go outside much in any weather now, except to swim at the outdoor pool in the summer and to and from the car the rest of the time. 

I have discovered I can't abide the high humidity I was maintaining in the house during the winter for my mouth and eyes, because of asthma.

Yesterday here is was 75 and today it is 35.  No one can keep up with that craziness.

We are all so lucky to have central heat and nice warm blankets.  I put on socks at night and then take them off before the night is over. 

I'm just a tossing and turning bundle of fun!

Hugs,  Elaine
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: SjoGirl on December 19, 2016, 04:27:23 PM
Thanks all.

Joe I will ask my doc about Inositol -- I am on other meds and am not comfortable adding something without checking with her.

Carolina, the weather is CRAZY this year. I hope you find some joy in the holidays.
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: Joe S. on December 19, 2016, 08:07:55 PM
I started with one per day for a month and quit for one week. It takes a while to build up in your system. This year I went to 2 per day, morning and evening. I am handling this bad weather much better.
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: irish on December 20, 2016, 04:23:04 PM
Weather change can cause havoc with our health. The up and down of the barometer can cause changes in general achiness or real pain. Also, it can cause  problems with breathing by causing spasms in the bronchial tubes resulting in tight chest and shortness of breath. It is hard to know when this will happen. Sometimes the cold, clear weather helps me to breath better and I feel better overall. Then other times I will have the asthma issues and just feel miserable overall. I always feel worse when the humidity is higher.

The same is true with the hot weather changes. The changing barometer in the summer and resultant storms will cause the asthma, aches, uneasiness and overall decrease in health status. We have to learn our bodies and how they react. Also, we have to learn to curtain our avtivities and just take it easy when affected by these changes. Other people don't notice this as much but we sure do. Good luck. IRISH
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: gurs on December 21, 2016, 05:13:12 AM
This past month has been probably the worst Ive ever experienced here in Michigan. My eyes are just burning dry all day long. Eye drops are not doing anything. I have to go to bed super early because of the pain. Trying everything...eye gels, humidifier, you name it. Sinuses super dry too..oh my lord!

Arthritic conditions bad too...must be this frigid cold. Summer not good either because of my autonomic issues and body temp.
Ughhhh..hope we all find some relief this winter.

Gursie
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: irish on December 21, 2016, 05:56:05 PM
Are you irrigating your nose or using a facial sauna??? This makes a lot of difference in the nose, sinuses and eyes. Irish
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: gurs on December 22, 2016, 04:08:22 AM
I tried everything..something is going on inflammatory. I keep breaking blood vessels in my eye, seems to happen when my allergies and sinuses are super bad..damp weather makes it a lot worse. Im going to the eye doc tomorrow just to double check, but im guessing the problem is not the eyes, but the inflammation. Probably need a CT scan of my sinuses again too.
Ever since I moved into this condo a year ago, Ive been super dry. We have whole house humidifier, bedroom unit, had my ducts cleaned, but now looking into this UV light air cleaner for entire house. Uggggggh! miserable!

Thanks for the info.

Gursie
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: SjoGirl on December 23, 2016, 01:56:13 PM
Thanks all. I am grateful for the better days and taking action on the worst. I appreciate your support and suggestions.
Title: Re: Weather changes wreaking havoc on anyone else?
Post by: Wal on December 23, 2016, 03:11:30 PM
Yes! I live in the South and we've had crazy weather that changes like every hour. I've noticed a lot more dryness especially at night. I even use the humidifier but it doesn't really help.