Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Carolina on December 16, 2016, 09:09:49 AM

Title: My humidity dilemma
Post by: Carolina on December 16, 2016, 09:09:49 AM
Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

As you know I have always used a very large indoor cold air humidifier.  I have a humidistat that lets me know what level of humidity has been attained.

I have always thought the higher the better, UNTIL I developed a form of airway obstruction resulting in asthma. 

So it turns out that humidity over 50% is not good for asthma.  I found this out after several very bad nights of asthma.

Last night the temperature dropped very low, and therefore the humidifier ran out of water trying to humidify the colder air.  And my asthma was BETTER last night.

So I put two and two together (often very difficult for me) and did my research, and lo! and behold!, humidity over 50% exacerbates asthma.

So now it is a trade off between my eyes and mouth and my lungs.   Well that's simple.  The lungs win every time.

So I will now make sure that the humidity isn't too high.  Sigh.....Live and learn.

And as they say:  Too soon old, too late smart.

It is always something....and just when I've figured out something, the rules of the game change.

Hugs,  Elaine
Title: Re: My humidity dilemma
Post by: irish on December 16, 2016, 09:14:07 AM
That is so true, Caroline. I can't tolerate high humidity and the summers are really hard on me. Being out in the high humidity makes be feel like I am breathing through a straw. The body has to work so much harder to breath when the air is full of water. Irish
Title: Re: My humidity dilemma
Post by: quietdynamics on December 16, 2016, 09:49:02 AM

Yes .. just in out and about weather.. when humidity is high I feel like a slug.
Check humidity level over 50% 

We can always put in a few more eye drops...

"There are never fails.. just lessons learned."
Title: Re: My humidity dilemma
Post by: Tharrell on December 16, 2016, 02:56:49 PM
I sadly had to ditch my cool air humidifier when I was diagnosed with non TB mycobacterium kansasii lung infection. The kansasii strain is found predomantly in water and entered my lungs by breathing it in from contaminated water droplets. So I have to minimize the chances that I breathe in water. No hot tubs, never been in one, short showers and I'm just not risking humidifiers. With the bronchiectasis and all the sputum I need clear air. Sea air would be best. I use 7% saline in my nebulizer and it helps me clear my lungs. Thanks to the dryness of sjogren's the sputum is really stuck in my lower lobes and very difficult to bring up.
It's always something.....
Title: Re: My humidity dilemma
Post by: Navigator on December 16, 2016, 03:41:48 PM
I can relate. I have opted for dryer mouth because of my asthma.  The dry mouth doesn?t wake me up as much.
Title: Re: My humidity dilemma
Post by: Carolina on December 17, 2016, 06:35:02 AM
Dear Irish, Tharrell, QD, and Navigator:  You are all so wonderful. I knew you would relate.

Dear Tharrell:  We do put in a bactericide each time we fill the humidifier.  And I've always watched to see that we aren't growing mold with too much humidity, especially around the windows.   We've been using whole house humidifiers (very large ones) AND we have had a furnace humidifier for over 40 years without a problem, and then the asthma appeared two years ago. But it's worse this year, and now the humidity in the winter is a problem.

Dear QD:  I can't stand heat and humidity, but it's mainly my temperature dysregulation and the fact that I sweat unbearably from the head.  I get sweaty even when the temperature is low.  Now of course there's this asthma thing.  Sigh.  I think we are always surprised how long it takes us to 'get it', but of course that is just called 'learning' as you pointed out.

Dear Navigator:  Yes, a drier mouth is preferable to that convulsive coughing.  My variation of asthma is only made worse if I cough.  But when I'm sleeping I don't control that, so I wake up coughing.  I'm only glad I finally did the research and confirmed my suspicions.

And so we go, knowing that life is a challenge for everyone, and so grateful for those who offer support, understanding and assistance in our struggles.

Hugs,  Elaine

To be helpful and kind is our greatest gift to ourselves.

Title: Re: My humidity dilemma
Post by: Kathy57 on December 17, 2016, 07:25:53 PM
I use humidifiers all the time and I think I feel much better with them.  I hate this time of year because of the forced heat and dryness.

I don't measure my humidity so obviously I don't get it too high, but I feel better in high humidity.  I think I would love to live on the beach and breathe in all that good salt air!😃👌. I don't know why but I have been coughing less.  Who knows how long it will last?

Sorry you are having such a hard time, Elaine.  Just have to keep looking for that sweet spot!

Kathy