Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Deb 27 on December 11, 2016, 01:55:56 PM

Title: Flu shot causing flare?
Post by: Deb 27 on December 11, 2016, 01:55:56 PM
So, I had to get a flu shot yesterday. Just can't risk getting it at my age with asthma and I work in health care.  But this afternoon, my energy feels like it's been drained and I ache all over. Does this happen to anyone else? There have been times I felt it caused a small flare but this is kind of tough. I ache all over. Gonna try some tylenol.  Maybe I just forget how bad it makes me feel every year. 
Title: Re: Flu shot causing flare?
Post by: Nymph on December 11, 2016, 02:13:57 PM
I get the flu shot every year. This happened to me once. It is probably not a flare just a relatively common side effect as your immune system responds to the vaccine. It's not fun, but you should feel better in a day or two.
Title: Re: Flu shot causing flare?
Post by: Jasper on December 11, 2016, 03:50:24 PM
Flu shots make me feel like I am in a mini flare. The flu shot ramps up the immune system a little as it builds antibodies to the flu. So naturally we are going to feel a little worse as our immune systems ramp up even more than they already are.

I usually feel better after a few days.

Common side effects from the flu shot include:

    Soreness, redness, and/or swelling from the shot
    Headache
    Fever
    Nausea
    Muscle aches

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm
Title: Re: Flu shot causing flare?
Post by: jazzlover on December 11, 2016, 06:11:05 PM
Too much junk in those.. I'm so sorry you have to get one each year.

Feel better soon!
Title: Re: Flu shot causing flare?
Post by: GgcJap on December 11, 2016, 11:40:04 PM
I was under the impression that those with autoimmune shouldn't have flu shots? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Title: Re: Flu shot causing flare?
Post by: warmwaters on December 11, 2016, 11:50:32 PM
 GgcJap - my understanding from my doctors is that you should get it, unless you have a specific profile that says not to (problems with the contest of flu shot, problems with your immune system).

Deb 27  - For me, it hits me for 3-4 days feeling sort of "blah", but compared to getting the flu, it's better. Hang in there.
Title: Re: Flu shot causing flare?
Post by: GgcJap on December 12, 2016, 01:49:00 AM
Sorry I remember now, it was live flu shots while on steroids you shouldn't have. Or so I read.