Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: dry2010 on December 08, 2016, 09:14:55 AM

Title: Plaquenil and diahhrea
Post by: dry2010 on December 08, 2016, 09:14:55 AM
Hi all...
I was off Plaquenil for about 5 months and just started back on it about 4 weeks ago and have been having crazy gastrointestinal issues. I don't recall this happening when I started it 6 years ago. Has anyone else had this happen I am not sure if I should stop again I called Rheumy but waiting for call back.Thanks in advance..

Dry2010
Title: Re: Plaquenil and diahhrea
Post by: trejonina on December 08, 2016, 03:26:26 PM
Hi, my stomach could only stand Plaquenil for 2 weeks, 2 rheumys prescribed it. I never took it again. It can cause blindness, do your research. I''m currently off my Antibiotic Protocol, but I''d rather go on it again on alternate days or twice weekly,(50 or 100 mg of minocycline or doxyciclene) if needed, than take anything else. Haven't seen a rheumy or any AI related md. in 5-6 yrs. Same for a friend with  lupus who's been on the Protocol, no more md visits. For most it is a lifelong treatment.
Title: Re: Plaquenil and diahhrea
Post by: warmwaters on December 08, 2016, 04:18:14 PM
There is some variation in the brands (i.e generics still have different brands). There was one I couldn't tolerate, and several other that I could.
Title: Re: Plaquenil and diahhrea
Post by: Bigleyj on December 08, 2016, 04:25:05 PM
Yes i got diarrhea also but doscussed with my Dr and we reduced dose so now not so bad. 😀
Title: Re: Plaquenil and diahhrea
Post by: Deb 27 on December 09, 2016, 03:27:41 PM
dry2010,  if you have good insurance, maybe you can try the name brand to start off. That's what others recommended to me when I had this problem. It got too pricey for me so I switched to generic and had to start off with a smaller dose and took it with the largest meal of the day. Now, it doesn't bother me at all. Also, you could try a different brand generic to see if that helps. Good luck. They say the eye damage is very rare and you should get your eyes checked yearly.
Title: Re: Plaquenil and diahhrea
Post by: Scottietottie on December 11, 2016, 11:13:38 AM
Hi  :)

My rheumy always told me to wean onto Plaquenil slowly - to let the body adjust. Start off with half a pill every other day and do this for a week - then half a pill every day - and do for a week - then a whole pill one day and half the next etc etc etc

Takes about a month to get onto full dose but makes gastroinestinal issues less likely. (No medication suits everyone)

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Plaquenil and diahhrea
Post by: susanep on December 11, 2016, 05:29:29 PM
I never could take the 2 pills per day without vomiting. For several years now I have taken one pill per day, but now my intestines feel like they can barely  handle  any other meds I need now.

I will see my endocrinologist Tuesday so I will discuss that with him of going off it.

susanep