Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Wal on December 07, 2016, 12:41:06 PM

Title: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: Wal on December 07, 2016, 12:41:06 PM
So I know the common theme of autoimmune is to cycle through one or several symptoms. I know that in many cases symptoms can progress over time. Has anyone here had bad dry eye that actually improved after a while?
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: Navigator on December 07, 2016, 12:50:30 PM
yes but only because I started using Restasis. On their own ...no.
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: Jasper on December 07, 2016, 01:11:36 PM
My eyes have improved considerably since starting Restasis. My eyes will even moisten up a little at times. Not tears, but at least there is moisture.

I use Restasis drops in the morning when I awaken and at night before bedtime.

As long as I use Restasis I have no gritty, sand in the eye feeling and no burning or other problems with my eyes.

In addition, my opthamologist said my eyes look the best he has ever seen them ..... no gunk, no abrasions, no dryness, etc.  He has been seeing me since 2009. I started Restasis in 2011 due to grittiness, sand in the eye feeling, dryness, burning, etc.
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: Tharrell on December 07, 2016, 02:57:33 PM
Mine have improved since I started weekly orencia shots, a biologic. I'm still bad about using my xiidra eye drops.
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: Wal on December 07, 2016, 03:14:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've been using Xiidra for 4 weeks with not much changes. I'm curious if Restasis would work better. 🤔
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: dry2010 on December 08, 2016, 06:45:43 AM
Yes with Restasis and my new eye doctor started me on a product called EZ Tears. It is a pill that has fish oil, evening primrose oil and turmeric also see Vit D in it. Not sure about it yet only been a few weeks trying it to see if I can drop the Restasis.

Dry2010
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: Maria3667 on December 08, 2016, 11:13:39 AM
Hi Wal,
Mine improved since taking low dose Dhea intervaginally. For some reason this produces more eye moisture and has made it possible for me to even wear contact lenses again. Judging by your name I guess you're not female, ... so you could try Dhea sublingually as an alternative method...

Good luck!
Maria
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: cccourt1942 on December 08, 2016, 12:26:57 PM
Wal:  ditto Jasper's msg.  I started the Omega 3 about a year before Restasis. 

My eyes (again...just as Jasper stated) can "well" tears on the surface of my eyes...after...oh...over 2 1/2 years.  I can't produce a tear...but in the last 3 or 4 months I can definitely feel the natural fluid on my eyeball.  It will sting--maybe smart...just as it starts..then I realize...and then it just feels wonderful. 

The Restasis STILL burns my eyes....in the a.m., it subsides rather quickly and I don't add daytime drops until maybe mid afternoon..and maybe once or twice in the p.m. Some days none.  But at night?  I have to wait the 10 minutes after Restasis application, and then I use my OTC drops (dr. recommended) to stop the stinging/burning.  Then they are calm.  I usually add the OTC drops in the middle of the night at least  twice.  The gel stuff just gums my eyes up.

And last...JUST AS JASPER SAID>....my dr. says my eye surface is like "dark" and daylight.  He says he can't believe how much they have improved.  The way he says it...each time I see him...he continues to act amazed.  Now...remember...they only hurt at night.  Just can't figure why the stuff still burns when I apply it. 

Sjoldier c3


Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: SjoGirl on December 08, 2016, 02:57:13 PM
As others have said, yes, but only due to Restasis and having punctal plugs inserted. I have reduced tear production and reduce tear film (which holds onto tears) and don't imagine those clearing up on their own.
Title: Re: Has anyone's eye symptoms improved?
Post by: bettyp on December 08, 2016, 03:53:38 PM
I have been on restasis for years and recently (September) started Xiidra. There's been a great improvement in how my eyes feel and I'm not constantly using otc drops like before. I just came from my ophthalmologist's office and it's official- they measure less dry and he can see a different! Finally- something positive!