Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Sharon on December 04, 2016, 12:15:58 PM

Title: Hematologist?
Post by: Sharon on December 04, 2016, 12:15:58 PM
I'm wondering if it's worth seeing a hematologist.
Have hematologists helped anyone here with diagnosis or treatment?
Title: Re: Hematologist?
Post by: SjoGirl on December 04, 2016, 04:29:57 PM
I saw one, but that is because I was so anemic they needed to figure out why. The first hematologist I saw did a bone marrow biopsy and found out I had no storage iron. Three hematologists later I leaned that my anemia is part of my autoimmune issues. Taking iron or other supplements does not help, I just have to watch that my counts (whites get low to as do others) don't get too low (I have a CBC done  at least once a year). So yes, it was helpful, although like other things never any cure.
Title: Re: Hematologist?
Post by: Nomad on December 04, 2016, 07:26:22 PM
I see one for low platelets.
Right now I go rather often.
She doesn't have much interest in my Sj Syndrome or Lupus.
I see a rheumatologist for that, although only once or twice a year.
Title: Re: Hematologist?
Post by: lorigacc on December 05, 2016, 08:47:23 AM
I do see a hematologist for another autoimmune issue, Antiphospholipid syndrome.  Although its not part of my Sjogrens, it is another autoimmune disease. 
Title: Re: Hematologist?
Post by: Sharon on December 05, 2016, 12:05:01 PM
Some of my blood tests regarding platelet size, volume and unity came back unusual and have been getting worse over the past year.
My GP says that the results "aren't too irregular" although they're off and that he doesn't understand what problem they might indicate in any case.
I'm wondering if it's worth looking into this further.
Title: Re: Hematologist?
Post by: SjoGirl on December 05, 2016, 04:10:49 PM
Sharon, Has your GP said whether she or he believes that the blood work might explain a particular symptom that you are having or be indicative of a specific disease process? If she or he is not well enough informed to say a visit with a hematologist might be in order. If nothing else, such a visit and testing can rule out a multitude of other possibilities (that was the case with my testing, ruled out many possible diseases).
Title: Re: Hematologist?
Post by: Sharon on December 05, 2016, 06:05:21 PM
Hi SjoGirl,
My GP has no idea. He can't explain the blood test results.
Yes, I was thinking a hematologist might be able to rule out any other causes of my many symptoms.
Title: Re: Hematologist?
Post by: SjoGirl on December 06, 2016, 05:18:32 PM
Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you do see someone.