hi everybody. today i went to the dentist to make my usual cleaning. as my gums were inflamed, at the end she put me an antibiotic gel that was awfully bitter.that was one hour and a half ago. i started to have saliva filling my mouth so i spitted once, twice and then more and more, i asked for kleenex while i still was there and i finished the box. im home now and i still spit i should say normal watery saliva. so what does it mean??? where stays hidden all this saliva? where is all this saliva when needed?so i can produce it but it does not come out? cant understand
Hi Blue!
Wow, I have no idea why that happened but wouldn't it be nice if you could continue making abundant, normal saliva?👌
For the longest time my tears were slow and practically nonexistent. Now, I'm going through a normal grieving process and you should see my tears! I can cry! I should be happy and ecstatic, but I'm not.
Right now I'm in Houston Texas at MD Anderson with my husband, waiting to see his oncologist and hoping for some good news.
Hang in there, Blue, and enjoy the saliva while you can. I'm sure there will come a day when I will miss my tears.
Kathy
Hi Blue,
I like most people have no idea why but am so happy to hear it. I hope it continues for you. Like I've heard many times before on this site is sometimes things just happen and that's the way it is. At least this time it's a good thing. Also I hope it reminds everyone that there is hope and strange things do happen. :)
GgcJap
Hi Blue, I'm betting it's the bitter taste of the antibiotic gel that's stimulating your saliva glands.
When I eat foods with a lot of oregano for example I also get more saliva.
If you swish oregano oil in your mouth or suck a lemon candy you'll produce a lot of saliva as well,
but the effect doesn't last all that long.
thanks everybody; of course the bitter thing effect did not last and this evening im dry again but im wondering from where saliva arrived. yes the bitter taste stimulated it but that means that my glands are not completely dead i suppose...i do not expect explanations from the doctors anyway because i do not trust them anymore
I am wondering about the phrase "watery" saliva. Saliva is not ususally watery but sort of thick. It sounds like you are producing a saliva that is on the abnormal side. The salivary glands will do this at times when stimulated by something. Sjogrens causes the saliva we make to be abnormal and that is something that affects everyone differently. Hope things go well. Irish
Hi Blue,
Maybe it's not the bitter taste which causes saliva flow, but the antibacterial property of the gel. I say this because when I was treated in hospital with antibiotics prophylaxis (1 shot before the operation) I woke up at night from drooling!! Can you check the ingredients of the gel? I wonder if it contains Flagyl.
Take care,
Maria
irish i wrote watery but i was meaning that it was not the usual thick stuff. it was good saliva, not too thick not too watery, just saliva
ill check with the dentist but i dont think it was flagyl and when they saw me spitting they just said it happens to everybody because of the horrible bitter taste. i thought ... but im not everybody... i have sj so i have saliva somewhere! it does not happen with lemmon to me, not that much
Quote from: bluegardenia on November 30, 2016, 09:28:08 AM
--- !she put me an antibiotic gel that was awfully bitter.that was one hour and a half ago. ----? where stays hidden all this saliva? where is all this saliva when needed?
I LOVE this message. :) Blue....I don't think any of us can answer this. But I DO have a question for your dentist: what BRAND antibiotic gel did she use? :) Technically, the Biotene oral gel I like is just that: antibacterial gel. And I love it.
But your query "where is all this saliva when needed?" is priceless! This is how we feel when we actually swallow the pilocarpine or evoxac, etc. Almost every night I drool out of the side of my mouth where I still have a working parotid gland. I, too, have wondered--why doesn't this stuff just come out on its own? And it might!
Glad to hear you had some swishy mouth moments!!
c3
ciao ccc il call my dentist tomorrow morning and ill ask but i do not think its biotene they are using. ill know and ill write here but i dont think that ill use it to have more saliva because its really horrible, almost unbearable, very strong.
i spoke with the dentist, the gel is made by a chemist for them and its pure metronidazole that is the main substance of flagyl. but the drooling is not due to the effect of property of the substance but to the bitterness because its immediate. thats what they told me and that happens to all the patients
My question was a silly one....supposed to be funny: what IS that drug? :) :)
But since you offered and gave the explanation, it is fascinating. I think what he (dentist) is saying, it isn't really coming from the salivaries....no...it HAS to be unless it generates a "process" of moisture in one's mouth. I find it so interesting in your case blue as you have almost no saliva at anytime. Hope you can recall this moment of moisture!
Are you decorating for Christmas? I'm not. I have not put out anything since I moved 2 1/2 years ago. I gave most of my things away when I left my large home after my husband died over 10 years ago. I need to give my one large, carved crèche to my daughter. It's quite large and she has all her own things...but it cries out to be placed and seen. She lives a couple of blocks away..so I could always see it. :)
Merry Christmas preparation month! I was hit a couple of days ago (minor crash but damaged the entire driver's side of my car....the woman didn't realize she had hit and was continuing to "drag" her car along the side of mine. I couldn't change lanes to escape her onslaught as the other lane had cars! Finally I escaped. :) We pulled over, and she apologized immediately. It was dark, and she said she just didn't see me. My car is driveable...and will take it in next week for repairs. So Amazon, here I come for remainder of Christmas shopping.
c3
ciao ccc, im so sorry for your car accident but i see that u are ok and in good mood!!!
i had real saliva, it was not moisture, i used one new box of kleenex, and i had to spit more before arriving home. that was saliva, not moisture!!! i dont have the same with lemmon or caramels but i must say that im better with a homeopatic thing, for whom believes to homeo. for me some things work. in fact i have difficulty to swallow but i wonder if this is so bad for me also because it has become something im afraid of . before eating i start to be nervous and terrified so probably i feel worse than im. i made the swallow test and i was ok but we know that one thing is swallowing that liquid thing they give u and another is to eat pasta.
no i dont do nothing for christmas, u know i live alone and i dont feel like. its sad, i realize that i say i dont mind about christmas but may be i would if i had somebody home with me to share. i have friends and everything but when i come home its silence. well it lasts a few days so like everything, it will pass quickly. i have lot of work, seems that my book will be published in the states!!!! ill tellu if and when ciao
Hi blue,
Maybe you're right and did the saliva flow arise from the bitterness. But on the other hand, when I eat bitter food it doesn't have this effect on me.
To me it's interesting to learn that the gel DOES contain metronidazole (Flagyl), because it points towards a mean denominator in causing saliva stimulation. Next year I want to try long term treatment with Flagyl, because it was never clear if I have Sjogren's or suffer from remnants of Lyme's wrecking havoc on my body.
After infection with Lyme I was treated with a short course of antibiotics almost immediately after diagnosis and developed Sjogren's soon after. Nowadays Lyme is usually treated with a much longer course of AB (1 month) whereas I was only given it for 1 week.
Flagyl is the first substance to cause drooling in me for 15 years... so I think my experiment is worth a try and might also clear up other aches and pains.
Good luck with your book !
Sjogren's patients' lack of saliva is not only due to glandular damage. In fact, even in the most severe patients, often even up to 50% of original glandular tissue is observed to be functional.
so if its not due to glandular damage to what its due? if the glands are not offended it means that its functional amd this is very different
Perhaps I should have used the word "intact" instead of "functional". It appears that the loss of function is not necessarily only due to damage of the glandular tissue, but also due to the inhibitory effects of the inflammatory cytokines on normal cell function and possibly damage to neurological structures.
im sorry i did not expalin well, im not english.
i mean that if the damage is not phisic because glands are not materially damaged it means that its their "function", their "work" that does not work.. hope i explained what i mean like a car that does not start. its not the engine but the imput, when the key turns the electric impulse does not arrive to the engine
The cells of the glands become swollen from inflammation and white blood cells rush to these cells and attack them. The body thinks the cells of the salivary glands are an invader or bacteria, etc and try to kill these cells off.
It is multidimensional because the saliva itself is also not normal because of the white blood cells attacking the salivary glands resulting in way the mucus is made. Our abnormal mucus doesn't meet the normal criteria of chemicals, bacterial content, etc. that normal people have. Basically, our body is trying to kill us off and with Sjogrens the salivary glands produce abnormal mucus and the salivary glands (big and small) are inflamed and can't operate normally. Tough situation to find a treatment for.
It seems that the treatments for aches and pains are easier to hone in on than the mucus secreting issues. Remember that this affects the secreting cells of the stomach, colon, pancreas, liver,bladder, etc and can make for lots of other issues. In general mucus production in our bodies are totally screwed up and affect our whole way of life. The swelling in the mucus producing cells is what causes the salivary glands to have the issues with stones, lack of drainage, etc. Good luck. Irish
What Irish said!! :)
Blue: Remember the white cells have turned against our bodies by "eating" our mucous. Thinking about the precious mucous in our eyes and our oral cavity as gooey substances (due to the white cell interference). This gooey stuff clogs up the ducts at times, but in most of us it goes on thru and that is the glop we complain about in our throats, etc.
I have never had an MRI. An ENT poked around on my salivaries and stated all are hardened but for my right parotid. I don't know if it is true...but taking the amount of pilocarpine I take, I'd be surprised if he wasn't accurate. So, for simplicity sake, I state my glands have atrophied. Oh...ophthmal has said same of lacrimals. Anyway..back to "damaged" salivaries: I do NOT know this, it's what I THINK. So don't repeat with authority: Irish and I have explained the "why" ...the gooey substance just can't irrigate our oral cavities like normal saliva does. And the few of us who do have atrophied salivaries don't feel anymore uncomfortable than anyone else, we just have less saliva (and sometimes toooooooo gooey saliva) than the rest of you. It's more like that car that doesn't work is filled with hardened oil. :) The rest of you just have old oil still functioning but need to get it changed...but oops...the mechanic filled your tank with OLD oil again. Darn mechanic.
Will write a separate private message to tell you what we're doing Christmas. Very excited. Hope you are doing well with holidays. Know it's hard on you.
c3
Lot of misunderstanding and misinformation...
I am just trying to make it very simple because the bottom line is our bodies are under attack and the white blood cells are invading the glands causing inflammation and inability of cells to produce normal mucus. There is a lot more involved but we are going for the simple here. Inflammation is the name of the game from inflammatory response.
The resultant inflammation is what causes a lot of pain, swelling, glands get plugged up from WBC and inflammatory response. Moisture(mucus) produced is abnormal ie., thick abnormal bacteria and kind of bacteria in mucus plus chemicals in the mucus abnormal. Thus we get set up for cavities, salivary stones, salivary duct and gland spasms, etc. More complicated but doesn't make much difference as inflammation is the causation.
P.S. I probably repeated myself but it is late.
thanks irish and ccc for the explanations.
another silly question... any of u made a test of your saliva? or is it possible to do it? or does it exist?
I would not even do it. I can tell by the taste of my saliva, the color and consistency that it is not the same stuff I had for many years. Also, I had many cavities and abscesses with root canals which is common in Sjogrens. THe mucus doesn't have the normal bacterial balance which protects the teeth from cavities and infections in gums, etc. I have as a result lost all my teeth which is also common in Sjogrens.
I guess the only way that one could get that done would be by someone in research who could do it for no cost. It would be hard to get done I believe and also not really be something that is needed to be done. Do some goggling regarding abnormal mucus sjogrens and I would bet that you would find some info plus more links to help you. I did the googling years ago and found all that I needed to satisfy my curiosity. Irish