Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Kadiddle on November 29, 2016, 07:04:31 PM

Title: Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
Post by: Kadiddle on November 29, 2016, 07:04:31 PM
I'm trying hard to be patient to find answers when I see the Rheumatologist on Dec. 8th. But...something else came up and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I only found one other post in here on this subject. I'm not an MD, but I am a nurse, and I can research just like any intelligent person can no matter their background.
Several days ago, I started experiencing this incredibly sharp pain in the back of my throat. I first thought maybe I was coming down with something, but it was odd, because it was just the right side of my throat. Then, I started having shooting pains going up to my ear. It really hurts, but it only lasts a few seconds. Sometimes it was related to swallowing. Other times, it was just random. This has lasted for several days, but today hasn't been nearly as uncomfortable. I'm hoping it is dissipating. I'm assuming it's this Glossopharyngeal neuralgia.
Anyone else experienced this?
Title: Re: Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
Post by: Carolina on November 30, 2016, 05:58:06 AM
Here's a link.

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-glossopharyngeal.htm

What are the causes?
"Many believe that the protective sheath of the nerve deteriorates, sending abnormal messages. Like static in a telephone line, these abnormalities disrupt the normal signal of the nerve and cause pain. Most often the damage is from a blood vessel compressing the nerve. Other causes include aging, multiple sclerosis, and nearby tumors."

This is another neurological problem of a defective Immune System.

Ain't we got fun? (sarcasm)

Hugs,  Elaine
Title: Re: Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
Post by: jazzlover on November 30, 2016, 12:49:55 PM
Doesn't sound like fun. Let us know what you find out.
Title: Re: Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
Post by: Kadiddle on November 30, 2016, 08:13:17 PM
Lol! Thanks for the sarcasm, Elaine. It really is needed in times like this. If I don't laugh, I'll cry. And I've done plenty of that lately. I will keep you posted, jazzlover.  :D
Title: Re: Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
Post by: Nymph on December 03, 2016, 08:30:39 AM
I have experienced similar pain but not quickly dissipating like this. Mine was more like burning mouth syndrome, resulting in something like geographic tongue. Interestingly, it started when I discontinued a supplement call Neurolink, which includes tyrosine, 5HTP and GABA. Resuming treatment has lessened the symptoms to just an occasional shedding of tastebuds with some sensitivity. It's a total mystery to me and every doc has their own opinion, with no evidence to back it up, I might add. It certainly seems to be neurological based on the response to Neurolink.
Title: Re: Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
Post by: MAT51 on December 03, 2016, 03:38:32 PM
I've had this too in the past - excruciating. Nowadays it is further down in my oesophogus sometimes and random although I wonder if certain positions make it worse.
Title: Re: Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
Post by: bluegardenia on December 05, 2016, 05:11:43 PM
well i just posted about my throat sensitivity. it does not hurt but its extremely sensitive. my mouth is not so dry, i mean its dry but not terrible but my thoat is extremely dry and sensitive. some years ago i had terrible flu with sore throat. i never experienced such a pain  there. i went to many doctors , they could not understand what it was, there was a flu with sore thoat around here and many friends caught it but nobody had the same pain that i had. it lasted more or less one month. i did not have sjo at that time, i mean i did not know i had it, bec my eyes were already dry and  i had noticed that food stayed attached to my teeth but did not give any attention to it. it wa the start probably. lucky times, just seven years ago. sjs officilally arrived 4 years ago. im so afraid to catch a cold that i do not go out if cold or im dressed like going to the north pole. friends laugh at me, i wash my hands, i clean my phone, computer etc. what a nightmare.