Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Carolina on November 28, 2016, 03:20:57 PM

Title: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: Carolina on November 28, 2016, 03:20:57 PM
So dearest Sjogren's Angels,

In the midst of the 'hot mess' that seems to be my life these days, a problem that was diagnosed almost 20 years ago, is now getting worse.  It was diagnosed during a barium swallow, and I realized that I had a problem, once in a blue moon, and that was that.

My esophagus doesn't move food down into my stomach sometimes.  The food just stops moving, and as I can't feel that, I take several more bites, and suddenly, the last bite is going no where when I swallow.

It is so difficult, and it now happens at almost every meal, unless I eat completely liquid foods.

I can't help the food down with water, or anything.  I often just have to force it out because I keep swallowing spit or mucus or whatever and I can't stand it.

I know I should take really teeny tiny bites and wait between them...but I've always been a gobbler!  Well, up until now.  I still forget, if you can believe it.

It turns out that it is, surprise! surprise!, related to Immune Disorders.  Inflammation has disabled the lower part of my esophagus, but not always, of course.

I have had the same thing with my bowel.....just completely stopping of movement, with blockage above it, and horrific pain.  But that has only happened twice, the last time in 2010.  I had to stay in the hospital for three days with a Nasal Gastric Tube (which almost killed me), until my bowel unblocked itself...otherwise they would have done surgery.

http://www.medicinenet.com/achalasia/page2.htm#what_is_achalasia

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/primary-intestinal-pseudo-obstruction/overview.html

Honestly, I feel a bit beleaguered these days.   I'm trying so hard to adjust to a life of achieving NOTHING.  My husband does everything, truly.  And he has risen to the task in the most amazing ways. He even cleans the cat box! 

But I cannot DO anything (cook, clean, shop, decorate the tree)...thank god the Brits make the most amazing TV series.  And I've watched 10 seasons of The Big Bang Theory, and am stilling howling out loud with laughter in season 10.

I make gratitude lists and know my life is truly blessed.  We went to the fitness center today, and John walks me from the car to my exercise equipment, and then back.  I am getting stronger, I do believe. 

Well, someone probably does have Achalasia like mine.  It isn't from my dryness, by the way........   It is a true stopping of peristalsis that moves the food.  John just refilled the big humidifier in our bedroom again.  I am truly grateful for his care.

Hugs, Elaine



Title: Re: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: ohiolady on November 29, 2016, 05:51:18 PM
Hi Elaine,  I have a mild case of this as well.  It was identified years ago on a barium swallow and esophageal manomatry (sp).  I have gastroparesis, too.  Mine is not too bad but I frequently notice vitamins getting stuck and taking some time to move.  I have had episodes of food sticking.

I am sorry you are struggling so much lately.

Anna
Title: Re: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: Jenny on December 01, 2016, 04:49:39 AM
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but my husband has issues with food getting stuck in his esophagus. Several times he has had to go to the Gastrointologist who does an outpatient procedure where he stretches it. It makes a big difference.
Title: Re: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: ohiolady on December 01, 2016, 06:38:28 AM
Jenny,

Your husband has a stricture, most probably from chronic heartburn.  This is different from achlasia.  Achlasia is a motility issue.  It can be quite disconcerting when food just stops in your esophagus and nothing can wash it down.  Strictures are troublesome as well.

Anna
Title: Re: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: Carolina on December 01, 2016, 10:48:42 AM
It's all difficult, and my Achalasia is getting worse.  I have to stop while eating to try to ascertain if food is actually moving down or stopping.  I also take much smaller bites, now.

On one hand that is very positive, since I tend to eat too fast, and therefore too much.

However, I think I will consult a gastroenterologist to see how far things have progressed and whether I need any attention in this area.

I have it on my list for "next year" if other things aren't more pressing.

Hugs,  Elaine
Title: Re: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: Nymph on December 03, 2016, 08:25:47 AM
I think I have this sometimes, mildly. I believe it is part of dysautonomia. I know that you have general autonomic symptoms as well. Have you seen an autonomic specialist? Can't remember. Sorry you're suffering this. A friend of mine with similar issues has had success with an all-liquid diet, unappealing as that sounds.
Title: Re: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: SjoGirl on December 05, 2016, 04:16:57 PM
Oh Elaine, I am so sorry. I have had this problem, but it seems to be mostly related to dryness. That said, I too can be a gobbler and have the issue if I do that. I also eat too fast at times and end up with GERD, though not a bad case, despite taking Nexium daily.

If you are a reader and comfortable with books that have a Christian bent you might read Falling Upward by Richard Rohrer. I found it extraordinarily helpful when I was in the depths of being ill, not having answers, and being in despair.
Title: Re: Do YOU have Achalasia? Food stops moving in my esophagus.
Post by: bluegardenia on December 05, 2016, 05:01:16 PM
i know that im boring bec i ask the same question so often but i really cannot understand how some of u can eat fast???? i hardly can eat and  when im hungry im desperate because every peace of food could  strangle me. no my mouth is not so dry, its my throat that seems closed. even the smallest minimum piece of food stucks there. if i make juice of apple and some powder of the apple remains on top, it stays on my throat. some days i have to blend meat with bone broth or eat baby food. i put buiscuits in the tea, i never eat breat, crackers, cakes. my throat is so sensitive.  and  yes i have gerd, i take omeoprazole, yes i  did the swallow test, i make fibroscopias almost every month, nothing.