Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: GgcJap on November 26, 2016, 05:40:56 PM

Title: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 26, 2016, 05:40:56 PM
Hi all,

     For the last 2 or 3 days my temperature has been around 35.8c/96.4f, from what I remember its always been around 36.4c/97.5. At first I didn't think much of it but Ive also just recently started Plaquenil. Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
     Also may not be related but for the past few days Ive had a blocked/stuffed nose. Im pretty sure(well half anyway) its due swelling as there is no mucus in there. Then this morning when I cleaned it with a tissue both nostrils had blood in them? I dont go back to my Doctor for over a week so I thought Id ask the knowledgeable people on here.

Like I always say I understand we are not Drs on here, BUT there are very knowledgeable people on here whose opinions I appreciate and value greatly, no matter how in depth or not.

Thx in advance

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: irish on November 26, 2016, 06:04:12 PM
In all my years of nursing I have never heard of a medication that causes a lower temperature. As human beings we don't tend to run a steady temperature and it can vary from time to time. Also, people with autoimmue diseases tend to not be able to run a very elevated temp when developing an illness. This causes us to keep track of our symptoms better if we aren't feeling well.

With that being said, there are times when a person will run a low grade fever for months.I ran an elevated temp of 99.8 to 100.2 for about 2 years and that was just the way it was until I stopped running that fever. Sometimes it would go up to 99.8 but doctors never got worried and it just sort of hovered in that area. Sometimes I would feel lousy and other times I didn't feel anything different.

The bloody nose can be from lack of moisture and is not uncommon. Usingi a facial sauna really helps to supply warm moisture that will moisten the airway and sinuses. You can buy one of these in the womens makeup section.....Or you can ask a clerk as sometimes the facial saunas are hard to find. Good luck. Irish
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 26, 2016, 06:37:08 PM
Hi Irish,
     One thing I did fail to mention is I have been having fatigue also when my temperature lowers. I read on livestrong.com/article/189413-what-are-the-causes-of-lower-than-normal-body-temperature/ that some medications can cause hypothermia, including medications that treat depression, anxiety and pain. This is probably a very rare thing though Im guessing. Thats also the other thing, like yourself my temperature had been on the high side, 36.7/98 ~ 37.2/98.9 since this started and just as sudden as the dryness started, my temperature seems to have gone from higher than usual to lower than usual. Strange days. :)
     I`ll have a look for a facial sauna(once I research what one is) it might make all the difference.
As always thanks for the help Irish.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: susanep on November 27, 2016, 07:12:42 AM
I always have the low body temperature unless I am running a low grade fever. My low grade fevers are usually around 99 . I also am hypothyroid, and I think that influences it too.

I also have the dry nose that can cause blood in the nose. It is very common.
You can use some Ayr Nasel Gel that helps a lot or/and a humidifier to help keep the air more moist.

susanep
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Scottietottie on November 27, 2016, 07:50:57 AM
Hi  :)

Being hypothyroid can resut in low body temperature. before bloodtests 'basa' temperature used to be used to diagnose hypothyroidism along with other indicators.

have you had thyroid function tests?

Take care - Scottie :)
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Carolina on November 27, 2016, 09:50:54 AM
1.  My normal body temperature when measured is about 97.

2.  I am almost always too hot and sweaty.

3.  I have temperature dysregulation.  My nose is ice cold, and I'm sweating.

4.  I've never taken Plaquenil.

Is is a malfunction (IMHO) of the Immune System.  Or at least a variation on normal, perhaps.

Regards, Elaine
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 27, 2016, 12:26:40 PM
Hi all and thx for the replies.
I checked my temperature after waking up just then and again it's 35.7/96.2 :-\

@susanep: Is there any reason why you've always had a low body temperature or is it just one of those things? Hypothyroidism can cause low blood temperature, I've had my thyroid checked and it was fine but that was before my temperature  change. I'm. It sure I can get Ayer nasal gel in Japan, I have found a spray that works very well but don't like the idea of having to use it 4 times a day.

@Scottietottie: Excuse my ignorance but what is bass temperature? Do you think I should see if I can get my thyroid checked again? I guess things can change quickly. I had my levels checked about 1.5 months ago and it was fine.

@Carolina: My normal temperature was 36.4/97.5 up until about 4 days ago. I have been having a lot of night sweats whilst sleeping, rarely during the day though. I'll have to look up temperature deregulation but it sounds complicated. Which come to think of it would fit this sickness perfectly I guess. By the looks of it it sounds like it has nothing to do with plaquenil and more to do with something else. Thyroid maybe?

It's not that uncomfortable although yesterday I did have some morning fatigue(first time I really noticed fatigue). Also might have nothing to do with that too.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Carolina on November 28, 2016, 06:02:49 AM
I'm 74 and my thyroid has always checked as normal.

I've been tested every which way there is (2 EEGs in the last year, for example).

It is what is it.

Believe me if I had ANY additional regular or weird condition (including Lyme disease) it would have been found by now.

Keep a diary of your daily 'issues' because it helps to read back over the years when you are looking for trends.

Hugs,  Elaine
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 28, 2016, 01:13:30 PM
Thx Elaine,
     It's hard to accept that somethings just are what they are but I'm learning. Keeping a diary sounds like a good idea.
     I've only had one. Mood test for my thyroid and that was normal apparently, as it's a relatively new thing for me I'll give it a little more time and see what happens. It was 36.0/96.8 this morning so it is a little better, not much but still.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: irish on November 28, 2016, 11:17:47 PM
Just to let you know that there are a whole lot of things in medicine that don't fit under symptoms or much of anything else. It takes time to get adjusted to this as people always think there has to be a reason for everything. There are a whole lot of things that the medical community hasn't figured out yet so we just have to wait til they do.

Ten years ago Plaguenil was not given to Sjogrens patients as much as it is now. Now, it is given as the drug of choice to start Sjogrens patients on and thankfully there are a lot of doctors that are catching on to this.

For the people who have been on this site for 10 years, we all know that there have been a lot of things that the doctors have learned in those years. The thing is, when we have a doc who doesn't "get it" we get upset. Thankfully, most of us eventually find a doc who can help us. Also, there are a whole lot more people who are being diagnosed with Sjogrens or at least they are searching for diagnosis for this weird condition. It doesn't seem like it to new people on this site, but progress is slowly being made. Irish
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 29, 2016, 12:03:41 AM
Thx Irish, I'm beginning to understand this. This is definitely my time for adjusting, just when I get used to one thing another seems to pop up. The dry mouth and eyes I'm learning to manage but from 3 days ago I've had a blocked nose which I found a spray for only to find out it can only be used for 3-4 days, then today my nose is now breathable again but I have blood in the linings of both nostrils, not dripping but enough to see on a tissue. And I don't know if it's getting better or not. Thankfully enough I don't have the aches and pains, trying not to jinx myself here.
     I'm not a big fan of waiting. :)  Unfortunately that's something else I'll have to learn to do.
I think Japan is about 10 years behind when it comes to Sj?gren's. I don't know if the plaquenil is working but it's only been a week. Another one of those waiting things.
    I'm glad to hear that the doctors and medical side of things are progressing, I like everyone else on this site pray for the day when it is no more.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Maria3667 on November 29, 2016, 09:56:25 AM
Hi Ggc,

I had the exact same reaction when I tried Plaquenil. For me it was the main reason for quitting it. Also it caused severe obstipation. By the way, I am hypothyroid and it felt like the plaquenil totally cancelled out the effects of my thyroid medication. Dr was baffled by my symptoms.

Good luck!
Maria
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 29, 2016, 12:18:48 PM
Hi Maria,
     I don't have the obstipation but I definitely do have a low temperature which seems to have started around the same time I started plaquenil. How low did your temperature get? Do you think it was because plaquenil cancelled out your thyroid medication or because of the plaquenil itself. I don't know if I have a thyroid problem I don't take any medication for one but I have had cold hands and low temp lately. What's the best way to get your thyroid checked?

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Nomad on November 29, 2016, 12:21:54 PM
I always had low body temps and still do a little. But, it improved when I got on thyroid medication.

I've gone through periods of time when I have a low grade fever (opposite)...like 99-100 degrees daily with no obvious illness like a cold/infection.  Such times usually mean I'm in an autoimmune flare of some kind. Fortunately, they happen rarely and the last one didn't last too long.

Doctors don't take such things that seriously (slight variations). But, I think it if it goes on a very long time, it is worth looking at.
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 29, 2016, 01:07:12 PM
Thx Nomad,
     It looks like I'll have to get my thyroid checked again. Before the low temperatures started I was fluctuating between 36.4/97.5 and 37.1/98.7, it used to be a stable 36.4/5. I will give it a little more time to see if it continues or not, the only problem I have at the moment(apart from the dryness) is my nose is bleeding on the inside, not enough to drip but enough to show on a tissue. I'll go and see an ENT soon if it continues.

Thx again

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Judie P on November 29, 2016, 02:02:58 PM
Like everyone else on this topic, I tend to run a while at 96.8 and then I run for a while at 99.0.  I have primary Sjogren's and my thyroid tests always come out normal.  I have the same as you with the bloody nose.  No dripping, just some on the tissue.  It is the dryness for me.  I stopped using allergy nasal sprays and thought the bleeding would stop.  Nope.  Had two this past week.  I see my ENT on the 9th of December.  I goes with the territory.
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Scottietottie on November 29, 2016, 03:34:53 PM
GgcJap - my understanding is that basal temperature is what you have when you wake up. (I'm not a medic - so I could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure that's what I read on a thyroid site I used to frequent)

About.com has a really good thyroid forum. It may be worth taking a look at.

Also - for everyone with 'normal' thyroid levels - GPs usually go mainly by the TSH. Different labs have slightly different 'norms' but 'norms' are usually between 0.3 and 4.  Now I, personally feel ill if my TSH is over 2 and I feel best if its about 0.1.

I can't persuade my GP to let it run at 0.1 but she has been persuaded by an endocrinologist not to let it run above 2. We are all different and so are our optimal thyroid levels!

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 29, 2016, 04:26:57 PM
Thx Judie
     Thats interesting to know, lately(the last 3 or 4 days) I have been in between 35.6/96.0 and 37.2/98.9. Its possibly a coincidence that I noticed my nose and temperature at the same time but it makes me worry about if I have a sinus infection or not. I had a blocked nose for a few days before I noticed the blood and did use 2 different sinus sprays(at different times) which seemed to clear my nose but now Im left with blood. When I woke up this morning one nostril had cleared but the other one is still showing no signs of stopping. I also believe its the dryness. I am also looking to see an ENT soon, just in case. Just another one of those things Im going to have to get used to I guess.

Hi Scottietottie,
     In that case my basal temperature for the last 4 days has been 35.6/96.0~35.8/96.4 :-[ Although my wife did show me hers this morning to try and make me feel a little better and hers was 35.1/95.1 but she says it has always been low. I wish I could say the same about mine. I will have a look at the thyroid forum and I`ll also check the numbers on my last Thyroid check just to be sure. Im not too sure what my Dr is using as the norms, Ill have to ask. Different we all are, and thats a good thing....unless your comparing autoimmune diseases. :)

Thank you all

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: irish on November 29, 2016, 05:26:45 PM
I don't know what your "normal temp" is but the numbers you show are not worrisome as far as I know. I run like this all the time. It is very common to have numbers below 98.6. Actually, I don't know why they assigned a normal temp number because everyone is different. There are times when I have been below 97 and then come up again. In fact, during the day our temperature varies many times. It is just the way it is. Temperature depends on activity, outside temperature, hydration and other issues that I probably know nothing about. Our temperature is probably different when we eat foods that need more energy to metabolize.

Actually, getting your thyroid checked would be good if you haven't had it done lately, but I would not worry about it. The plaquenil can sometimes take 4-6 months to work. I know I thought I felt a little better in a couple of months. The best thing to do is to just ignore the new med on a routine basis and not attribute every little symptom as a side effect of the med. This is easier said than done, but we can drive ourselves crazy trying to keep track of all this stuff. And you are right, the Sjogrens symptoms change from one day to the next and sometimes from one time to another.

I always have used a rice pack. You can make one with a tube sock and put rice(uncooked) in the sock and sew the one end shut. It doesn't have to be filled to the top of the sock. Only as many inches as you think you will need to hang around your neck. Put this is the microwave and heat is up slightly. Do not heat too long as the rice will hold the heat in big time and one can get a burn from the hot bag.

I have used this for years as my treatment of choice for just about every ailment I have had. There is something about the heat that is comforting and relieves the aches and pains. I have had to lie down and lay it across my nose for years as I had such nose pain. Thankfully that is gone by the wayside. I have also sat on the bag when I have had neuro pain in my very lower back. Sometimes I will take a Tylenol, but I choose to use the heat and it works.

I always feel that pain free is not my need but less pain is a huge improvement. Rest always helps a lot of our pain. The stress of life is hard on the autoimmune diseases and we have to learn to pace ourselves.  I hope that you can adjust to the plaquenil and take it long enough to see if it works. Did you say you will be getting some blood work periodically to check your blood count and what ever else should be checked when on the plaquenil.

Also, are their some American or Australian doctors there that you could see? Good luck irish
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 29, 2016, 09:17:13 PM
Hi Irish, from what it used to be my temperature has always been around 36.4/97.5 and quite stable at that. I read that if my temperature falls below 35.0/95 then It's classified as hypothermia and that can be fatal. Call me a worry wart but 35.6/96 isn't very far off that. But you're right normal for one might not be for the other so I don't know why they assigned a normal as well. Today my temperature has been fluctuating from 35.9/96.6 in the morning to 37.0/98.6 around 11am.
     I will try to get my doctor to check my thyroid again or just go to another doctor. I had it checked about 1.5 mths ago though.(bloods). I will definitely be giving the plaquenil time to work as it's my first and last line of defence over here other than steroids.
I try to ignore as much as possible but cold hands and feet and a bloody nose have been testing me. Either way I've never been good at being sick and I guess nothing's changed there.
     I will definitely think about doing the rice thing. I like the sound of warmth at the moment.
The thing is I don't really have any pain at the moment and I don't want that to change. That's another one of the scary things for me. I guess I shouldn't stress so much about what lyes around the corner and should focus more on the now.
I will definitely give the plaquenil a good chance.
What blood tests should I be having whilst on the plaquenil? I'm getting my usual blood tests on the 6th but I also want to try and get vitamin levels, blood sugar for diabetes and my thyroid. Is there anything else you can think of that I might need?

There are a few English speaking doctors in Japan but none close and they're all GPs. I'm still searching though.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Maria3667 on November 30, 2016, 10:50:07 PM
Hi Ggc,

I can't remember how low my body temperature went, all I remember is the plaquenil made me feel like I was freezing. Not sure if the plaquenil caused the low temp or if it cancelled out the thyroid med. But I did have low body temp (~34C) before which was normalized by the thyroid meds. You could get a blood test to find out or do a 24 hour urine test by a naturopath - which some say is more accurate - to find out if you're hypothyroid.

Take care!
Maria
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on November 30, 2016, 11:38:19 PM
Wow Maria,
     34 is really low, I feel cold under 36c. I will see if I can get another blood test, I'm not even sure if they have naturopaths over here. Might give me something to look into though.

Thank you

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: irish on December 01, 2016, 07:46:43 PM
I have run across people who have run around 95 or a little higher as far as the temp. I would admit that I think I would have cold hands. The blood work to have done is basically what your doctor wants you to have done. I did not have any specific blood work when I was on it but I have a lot of blood work routinely and non routinely so I doubt I would know the difference. I guess I would expect the doc should be informed of the ends you are taking due to the fact that drug interactions can occur as new meds are added.

The interactions of drugs can raise new questions at times also. Doctors aren't too keen is the US to do TSH any more often than every 6 months when there is no problem. If put on the levothyroxine a blood test is usually done at 3 months to see if the med is at the appropriate dosage. Too much med could possible cause a low temperature with cold hands and feet .Hope all works out. Irish   
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on December 01, 2016, 08:54:12 PM
Thx Irish,
     Yeah I've just learnt that my wife is one of those people that run around 35/95 and she doesn't have any problems. I do have cold hands and feet quite often.
     At the moment that's exactly what I'm having in terms of blood work. I'm going to see if I can get it checked routinely even if I have to go through my GP. My Dr won't prescribe me any medication apart from pilocarpine and I'm taking plaquenil on my own accord. My doctor told me if I take plaquenil then he won't treat me, hence looking for a new Rheumy. I have had my eyes checked though and plan on every 6 mths. I've also read it can cause low blood pressure so I'll have to get my sugar levels checked too.
     I do worry about my thyroid though and would like a ct or MRI rather than just a blood test but have little hope of that. I guess in the end what's going to be will be.
I hope it all works out too, thx Irish.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: irish on December 02, 2016, 06:19:00 PM
Do you have thyroid issues now? I don't know that they do the mri or ct that often for the thyroid. Generally they do the radioactive iodine to check for nodules, etc. I had that done years ago and have not had any thing done since other than the tsh or t3 or t4.

If your thyroid tests were ok I would not rush into getting them checked too soon as sometimes the insurance will not pay very well if there is not a good enough reason and too many tests are ordered. I think I had thyroid issues for about 5 years before they finally checked my tsh. We had to move to a different state and get a new doc who just checked it because of my age. The age thingy creeps up pretty fast. lol Good luck. Irish
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on December 02, 2016, 09:04:43 PM
TBH Irish I don't know if I have thyroid issues at the moment but my normal temp has dropped and my hands and feet are cold quite often. Mind you we are moving into winter over here. I'll have to research the the radioactive iodine thing but I'm pretty sure my Dr wouldn't even redo the blood test.
My last check was ok although I can't remember the numbers. I sometimes think I'm still going through some of the shock of getting sick and worrying too much.

That's the thing that worries me the most is that a good percentage of peoples sicknesses are found by pure luck/chance. Like yourself moving. It's the what if you hadn't thing that eats at me. I can live with being sick but being sick because someone who was supposed to know what they're doing didn't is a harsh pill to swallow. But I guess it is like you say, it is what it is. :)

As always thanks Irish, I appreciate it.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: quietdynamics on December 03, 2016, 06:54:06 AM
GgcJap
When I was much, much younger (lol) I did an ovulation calendar and saw that my normal temperature was always lower than than the sample/literature. (Dr @ SJS Clinic did say I have had this for decades so possible).

In keeping a SJS diary: pre flare I sometimes will get very cold, somtimes to the point of teeth chattering (without fever). I will then need to need to get under 3-4 blankets to warm-up, while still drinking fluids and resting. When it is what for me I consider more subtle it is a pre warning of a flare (who can say how long they last). And when I get under the covers it is a flare. 

Thermoregulatory disorders and illness related to heat and cold stress 
* Table 3 in this article under General Medical Lists Sjogrens
http://www.autonomicneuroscience.com/article/S1566-0702(16)30001-7/fulltext#s0080

Thyroid: for a period my labs came back up and down the range. Then evened out.
Antithyroid Antibodies have shown in labs and are being monitored, in addition to CD4/CD8 adult T cell leukemia.

I do have a form of vasulitis so keep moving, watch how I sit (or else foot goes numb..other day fell.)

These symptoms were evident in one form/level or another pre-plaquenil and have improved with other meds.

Periodic blood from clearing nose and the dryness of home is expected (even happens to very young granddaughter). I keep a crock pot going next to bed all day when home heat is on. Heat rises and we do not realize how dry the upstairs really is. Thermostats are downstairs so I even have to close the vents in bedroom. You brush your hair sometimes and get all that static electric.. and go WOW!!!..lol  Dry Air. Get out the night time moisturizer and don't skip the eye gel.
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Nymph on December 03, 2016, 08:07:42 AM
I have dysautonomia (POTS) along with Sjogren's and it causes temperature dysregulation. Like others here, I can feel uncomfortably hot while actually running a low body temp. I also have Raynaud's. With POTS, when blood pools in my feet they feel extremely hot and uncomfortable. Then when Raynaud's hits my toes are like little bloodless ice blocks. I experience a rapid swing from one extreme to the other most nights when I go to bed. Maybe I'm part reptile.   ???
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: Nymph on December 03, 2016, 08:21:18 AM
QD, thanks for the article!
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on December 03, 2016, 04:02:53 PM
Thx all,

@QD: since writing this post I have found there are many people with a stable low temperature and that this is NORMAL for them. It seems that normal varies depending on who you talk too. :)
     I'm still to get to the point of teeth chattering but I do feel cold. Strangely enough though and a little off the topic I have been waking up with the sweats and wet pajamas for about the last week. Again I don't know why. I don't know if I flair or not my symptoms seem pretty stable. My nose has been hard to breathe through, twice in the last 2 weeks like it's blocked or maybe even swollen on the inside though. The sweats and nose are the only two things different apart from the constant dryness and at times not being able to think clearly or at all(brain fuzz)?.
    I'm going to give the plaquenil a chance to work(health permitting) then after 6mths~1year I can make an educated decision as to whether to continue or not. From what I've read apart from the eyes and the chance of low blood sugar(correct me if I'm wrong) it's very safe.
    As for my thyroid I don't know what's going on there. 2 mths ago it was normal via blood tests and I'm not sure my doctor will test it again so soon.
QuoteThyroid: for a period my labs came back up and down the range. Then evened out.
Antithyroid Antibodies have shown in labs and are being monitored, in addition to CD4/CD8 adult T cell leukemia.
I do have a form of vasulitis so keep moving, watch how I sit (or else foot goes numb..other day fell.)
I'll be honest with you, I've just woken up, am still in bed and will have to research a whole lot of words in this part before I can have a real understanding. :)  I hope you have it all under control though.
     As for the blood, I went to see an ENT and got some antibiotics and other medicine which seems to have stopped it but it still does look a little raw in there. Is there creams or oils I can use to help this that you know of? I do have a humidifier in my room which I can't adjust the amount but usually stops at 80%. I don't know if that's too high or not but my dryness is better with it than without it.
I haven't used night time eye gel as I've heard it can cause problems for your eyes eg infections because there's not enough tears to get it all out. Do you have any problems with it?

@ Nymph: Again more big words and like I said to QD I'm still in bed and I'll have to look it up later. :)
It does seem to me though that there are many different things that can cause temperature dysregulation though. Before all of this the only thing I was aware of is that if I had a fever I was sick.
     Wow hot while running a low body temp, that sounds uncomfortable. If my temps low I'm cold but it also fluctuates up to 37.4 during the day and most of the time if I hadn't taken my temperature I wouldn't have known. I don't feel the heat as often as the cold. You definitely sound part reptile and I'm no doctor but I can say we can probably rule that one out. :)

Thx for the posts guys it's much appreciated.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: quietdynamics on December 04, 2016, 08:08:20 PM

Home humidity: "American Holistic Medical Association, the ideal level of relative humidity for sinus health is between 35-45 percent. This level is also generally recommended to avoid mold damage in your home."
In searches I see some sites go up to 50-60%.

One would need to watch for mold from too much humidity. Condensation on inside of window.
Although your system is 80%.. a barometer would give an accurate reading in the room.

Sometimes in the morning I put a wash cloth in very warm water and put over my face for a sauna effect.
Here is a guide you can download for dryness/Sjogrens http://info.sjogrens.org/conquering-sjogrens/topic/dry-nose

What is the dosage of plaquinel?  Good that you are self-monitoring and keeping diary.
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on December 04, 2016, 09:08:31 PM
Hi QD,
     From what my humidifier tells me my room is always around 60, although I don't know if that is a true reading or not. I'll have to search for a barometer. I have noticed condensation on the insides of the Windows and cleaned them just recently. I'll have set the humidifier to low I think. I really don't need mild on top of this.

Thanks for the link, I'll def have a look at it. I will also try the wash cloth.

400mg once a day at the moment, if and when I notice the effects, if everything slows down I'll try dropping down to 200mg. I think the diary is very useful especially when go to the Drs.

Thx again
GgcJap
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: irish on December 04, 2016, 09:26:43 PM
I would advise you to lower your humidity or you could get into trouble. Too much moisture is really hard on the lungs and sinuses, etc. Can cause a person to get other secondary infections from too much moisture. The facial sauna really helps and maybe your wife could find one for you.

Also, there is a material/product called cheese cloth that is a thin multilayered cotton or polyester that many people use when they strain fruit to make jelly. I use it to strain the extra small pieces out of beef roast broth before I make gravy. One can buy this in the dry goods section of Walmart usually. It sometimes comes on a bolt of cloth and can be bought by the yard or it is packed in 3-5 yard swaths in a plastic package.

Now, to get to the rest of the story. My mom used this on my when I was around 10 years old for my severe allergies in the summer....pollens, etc. You cut a piece about 10 x 10 inches and wet it with water. Wring it out to your liking...keep it almost drippy and fold it the way you want it and place over your nose and mouth. It is such a cool, moist relief it is unbelieveable. I have done this a lot in my life. It helps you sleep at night or relieves a bad spell.

In this day and age I would advise people to use boiled distilled water. Buy a gallon and boil it for 3-5 minutes or so , cool and pour back into the gallon container. I always pour a little boiled water into the gallon container and shake it around to sort of rinse out the preboiled water. (That is the nurse in me). I also store the boiled water in the frig.

Just another suggestion. I usually pour just a little water in a cereal bowl and put the cloth in it to rewet it.
This way you can use it for the night and not waste much and not have to get up all the time.  We sure learn to get used to some strange ways to ease our ills. Irish
Title: Re: Can Plaquenil cause low body temperature? If not what?
Post by: GgcJap on December 04, 2016, 11:26:02 PM
Thanks Irish,
I'm going to set it on Lo tonight and see how it goes. Too much moisture could be why I've been having troubles with my nose and ears lately. I had a brief look at the facial moisturisers but the ones I saw were around 250 dollars. I'm still looking for a cheaper one, I think it would make a difference. I've been thinking a lot on how to clean my sinuses lately. We don't get the netty over here and the saline sprays aren't just salt and water. Are there any other products or ways?

I will have to look for the cheesecloth, the tried and true methods are sometimes the best.

As always thanks Irish,

GgcJap