Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: bettyp on November 23, 2016, 05:37:45 PM

Title: Looking for a new rheumatologist
Post by: bettyp on November 23, 2016, 05:37:45 PM
I'm getting frustrated with my present doctor and I have little patience for someone who doesn't know their stuff.  I live in the north Jersey area if anyone can give me any suggestions or leads on a Sjogrens-focused doctor, I would really appreciate it. PM me or email using the icon under my name to the left.
I've been dealing with autoimmune disease for 40 years, since my younger sister was diagnosed with lupus at 13.  I am very knowledgeable of all types of autoimmune and also work in healthcare so I have access to a lot of information. I have been dealing with increasing back pain that she didn't think was sjogrens related. I finally got a script for Lyrica, which I hope will alleviate the nerve pain. Thank goodness I have a great eye doc and dentist.
This forum is priceless for information and comfort- that I'm not crazy when I know something is wrong .  Thanks to all- Betty
Title: Re: Looking for a new rheumatologist
Post by: Pete0211 on November 24, 2016, 03:17:46 AM
If you don't mind driving down to Philly, Penn Health has a Sjogren's Program / team. https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-patients-and-visitors/find-a-program-or-service/rheumatology/sjogrens-syndrome-program
Title: Re: Looking for a new rheumatologist
Post by: quietdynamics on November 24, 2016, 06:27:07 AM
I am in Central NJ between Princeton and Trenton.

I was Dx'd @ Robert Woods Johnson/ Division of Rheum, New Brunswick (originally SJS/lupus, then under Dr. Schlesinger SJS alone)
http://umg.rwjms.rutgers.edu/departments/medicine/divisions/rheumatology.php

In my case the disease process was aggressive so I went for a second opinion @ PennMed, Philly with Dr. Vivino.

I am still seen by both. RWJ is a medical school and interns do come in to evaluate and then the Dr. so two evaluations during one visit.  Waiting time @ appt can be long. That is not a complaint, just a heads up. I believe Dr. Schlesinger studied with or under Dr. Vivino?
However, Dr. Vivino and the PennMed Sjogrens is dedicated to SJS research.

I stay with both as they offer differing benefits.(I just share tests with them and do not have redundant ones performed at a given time)
Title: Re: Looking for a new rheumatologist
Post by: warmwaters on November 24, 2016, 08:16:09 PM
I'm going to join this question, as it's likely I will be moving to northern NJ this spring. Job change for my partner.

Probably the Morristown area, so NY related suggestions are also relevant.