Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: GgcJap on November 02, 2016, 02:48:20 AM

Title: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: GgcJap on November 02, 2016, 02:48:20 AM
Hi all,
     Just in the last few days, maybe a week I've noticed my saliva gets thicker after taking salagen. Also the amount of time it works has at least halved from 4hrs to maybe 2 if I'm lucky now. I have noticed that when I don't take it, although I don't have that much saliva, close to none, the saliva I do is cleaner so to speak.

Has anyone found this or can help explain as to why this might happen?

GgcJap
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: Sharon on November 02, 2016, 04:52:49 AM
Only idea that comes to mind is maybe the Salagen is helping to clean out some plaques that accumulated from your dryness with its more forceful action (a good thing).
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: GgcJap on November 02, 2016, 05:07:27 AM
Thx Sharon,

It could be cleaning I guess, forgive my ignorance but what are plaques? :)

GgcJap
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: Sharon on November 03, 2016, 12:31:01 PM
A doctor I went to called them that.
Essentially it's the buildup of mineral deposits and mucous in the salivary glands
when saliva sits in them not moving along for too long.

It may also be possible that the Salagen itself is increasing the mucous content in your saliva
since it makes the glands work overtime. Just another theory though.
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: GgcJap on November 03, 2016, 02:02:32 PM
Thx Sharon,

It definitely is quite possible, I guess like most things I'll just have to wait and see.
It seems at the moment if I take salagen or not I still get the same amount of saliva, which is next to none by the way. When I first started taking it I got a lot.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: Sharon on November 03, 2016, 02:29:57 PM
A shame it's not doing much for you anymore.
The one thing that has helped me (and many others here) with saliva production
is the supplement Ubiquinol. It takes time to kick in, but after it does it can really make a difference!
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: Spring on November 03, 2016, 06:24:16 PM
I found that I needed to drink more water to thin it out. I found when it started working, I drank less, and caused what you describe, so I upped water again.
IT drove me crazy with the 2 hours of good followed with 2 of dry then 2 of good, the ups and downs all day with the salagen related to timing of pill. Eventually I got on cevimeline and that is a whole lot more stable, smooth, less ups and downs, though they are still there, at least I can get 4-6 hours before getting overdry again. (take it 3 times a day).
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: GgcJap on November 03, 2016, 09:17:21 PM
Hi Spring, your story sounds a lot like mine, I might see if drinking more water helps. I will also ask my doctor about cevimeline, if I can get it over here I'll have to try it. The ups and downs are annoying to say the least.

GgcJap
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: irish on November 05, 2016, 01:50:50 AM
I would just keep on with the Salogen and see what happens. The good thing is you have more saliva which helps when you eat. Actually, when I took salogen and the increase in saliva never lasted 4 hours. I usually had more saliva for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. We are all different in the way we react to meds so anything is possible. Irish
Title: Re: Salagen making saliva worse?
Post by: GgcJap on November 05, 2016, 05:33:16 AM
Hi Irish,
     I did ask my ENT about cevimeline today and I can get it over here but he couldn't prescribe it. I'll have to wait until I see the Sj?gren's specialist(I'm now waiting on a referral letter). Your right though as long as I have some nothing to help me eat that's all that really matters. Your also right about anything is possible. :) I'll just have to wait and see.

GgcJap