Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Sandi on October 22, 2016, 05:16:49 AM

Title: Yeast Infections
Post by: Sandi on October 22, 2016, 05:16:49 AM
I am new here. Not new to Sjogren's. I was researching yeast infection yesterday.
I found an old post yesterday, from 2010. The thread discussed yeast infections. A member said that they had been battling candida for a year. That they had had a blood culture to diagnose.
I have connective tissue disorder. Hypothyroid, Addison's disease, Sjogren's, IgA deficiency and Lupus were my diagnosis up to April of 2016. I was then diagnosed with ITP, a bleeding disorder which means low platelets.
My platelets fell to 13, normal range is 150 to 400. This puts someone in danger of having a bleed that is life threatening. So they treat with high dose prednisone. I went on 80 mg. It took about 3 months to taper down to my reg dose of 7.5mg per day for steroid replacement for my Addison's disease.
I can say that in all my years living with this it has been the hardest thing I have ever done. The prednisone taper, or withdraw is undescribable pain and illness. On top of all that it make one succeptable to infection which I got. UTI's, Sinus and lung.
And of coarse with antibiotic and wonky immunity comes yeast. I have been battling that for months but am getting no-where. I am afraid my GP is not taking it seriously. It is very uncomfortable. Plus my platelets did not stay up after the prednisone blast, shortly after they fell again and I had to repeat the entire nightmare. Now my Hemo tells me I will need (Rituximab) Rituxan infusions. Which is not fun in any way. Plus makes one more succeptable to infections again. Also if you have an underlying infection it can make it come out much worse. This my worry for the yeast thing I have going.
My question, how does one get tested for yeast? I think it's a candida as my mouth just burns and it always involves my sinus and bronchi. Any direction greatly appreciated. Sandi PS Sorry spellcheck did not work, and I am feeling too sick to do anything about it.
Title: Re: Yeast Infections
Post by: Pete0211 on October 22, 2016, 07:10:36 AM
Hi and welcome Sandi.

I believe yeast in the mouth can be dx'd via a peek in your mouth or a standard culture test (doc swabs area and sends it off for testing).