Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Sharon on October 20, 2016, 11:48:08 AM

Title: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Sharon on October 20, 2016, 11:48:08 AM
I've read many contradicting things on Quercetin's effect on the immune system,
but from this article it seems it would benefit us to take this supplement:

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/184/12/6815.full.pdf

What do you all think?
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Nymph on October 22, 2016, 07:28:55 AM
I take this for my allergies and mast cell issues. It is a mast cell stabilizer. It is most effective if you mix it with a little oil before taking. It makes sense that it could help with autoimmunity, too, but I am not sure that it has been studied for that. It makes a big difference for my allergies.
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Sharon on October 22, 2016, 04:19:30 PM
This was the only study I found on its effect on autoimmunity.
Seems the pathways it affects most are the one's responsible for RA (Th1 pathways).
I too have been taking it for mast cell issues (with Omega 3 for oil),
but it hasn't been helping much with the allergies.
What dosage and brand do you take Nymph?
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Nymph on October 29, 2016, 07:54:04 AM
Puritan Pride, 550 mg + C.
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Nymph on October 29, 2016, 07:56:39 AM
I guess it's good for me that it affects RA pathways because I am seropositve for RA and want to do everything possible to prevent its clinical manifestation. So far so good.

Sorry it's not helping your allergies.
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Sharon on October 29, 2016, 11:25:41 AM
Nymph- Thanks, maybe I should try your brand. You only take 1 capsule a day?
I've been taking the NOW brand combo which includes Bromelain.
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Nymph on November 01, 2016, 03:39:02 AM
I usually take 1 55 mg capsule a day dissolved in oil. Unless my allergies worsen or I am exposed to extra allergens. Then I take two. I would guess that's highly individual for mast cells depending on the strength of your reactions as to how much you need to stop them.
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Sharon on November 01, 2016, 05:19:22 PM
Thanks Nymph, I see you're also taking DHEA.
May I ask what it helps you with?
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Nymph on November 09, 2016, 04:26:00 PM
DHEA helps my eye dryness. I depend on it and NAC for dryness issues. I could not make it without my supplements. They add so much to my QOL.

DHEA
NAC
fish oil
magnesium
quercetin
turmeric
ubiquinol
Vit D, C, K
probiotics
Neurolink
SentraPM
salt pills
licorice

I guess I have updated my siggy for awhile. Each one of these has proved a vital part of what it takes to keep me up and running on a daily basis as a teacher, along with my mainstay plaquenil. It is utterly mind-boggling that I absolutely depend on this many helpers at age 37. At some point I have tried to cut each of them out but they have proven themselves non-negotiable.
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Sharon on November 10, 2016, 12:56:12 AM
I'm also on many of the supplements you mentioned,
but NAC upset my stomach way too much so I had to quit it.

Was your DHEA low before you began supplementing with it?
How much do you take?

How do the salt pills help?

I know what you about being dependant on all these supplements at our age...
Truly unbelievable that these are our lives...
Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Nymph on November 10, 2016, 04:18:08 PM
Yes, my DHEA was low. I take sublingual drops 1.5 mg a day.

Salt helps my POTS. Otherwise I would not take it because it's bad for autoimmunity. Ha.   ::)

Title: Re: Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?
Post by: Sharon on November 11, 2016, 04:40:46 AM
My DHEA came back in the normal range in the blood tests I took,
but I still wonder if raising it would help.