Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: MAT51 on October 07, 2016, 11:14:57 PM

Title: mononeuritis multiplex as part of SS anyone?
Post by: MAT51 on October 07, 2016, 11:14:57 PM
I'm seeing my neurologist next week and have been focussing on symptoms and questions for her. While this has been preoccupying me I have suddenly twigged that I may have this mononeuritis multiplex going on rather than simply a presumed small fibre neuropathy.

To my shock - my fingertips started itching and stinging badly a few weeks ago on both hands. I already had noticed a big escalation in pins and needles in both hands, starting in fourth and fifth finger knuckles. When this started, months ago now, I assumed it was the all part of the Small Fibre Neuropathy and that this was a Sjogrens flare up. It is also affecting the area around both eyes in the form of numbness now too - and has been affecting feet and legs for 3 years or more. I assumed it was RA related as did two neurologists - so I've bee passed back and forth for ages now.

Anyhow now I have a confirmed diagnosis of SS - thought to be my primary disease - I feel a bit alarmed by this neuropathy ramping up so dramatically in both arms and waking me in excruciating pain during the night when I try to move my pillo or duvet and 4th and 5th knuckles are on fire in both hands. Could this be mononeuritis multiplex now I wonder? I think it wil have to take precedence over everything else with the neurologist next week if so!
Title: Re: mononeuritis multiplex as part of SS anyone?
Post by: Carolina on October 08, 2016, 07:05:50 AM
Definition here.  Sjogren's is listed as a cause. 

Quote:  To diagnose mononeuritis multiplex, there usually needs to be problems with two or more unrelated nerve areas.

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/mononeuritis-multiplex/overview.html

Hugs, Elaine
Title: Re: mononeuritis multiplex as part of SS anyone?
Post by: MAT51 on October 08, 2016, 12:59:15 PM
Thanks For this Elaine - a very interesting read. X